• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180 on HP 360

Lea Marc

Hi guys,

Has anyone had problems with the 3M IJ180 on the HP360 with head strikes? When I load the material it often starts to peel back at the lead edge, also when it pulls the media back after the end of a job I sometimes get a big headstrike causing a media jam/tear. I did see a new warning message yesterday too after a heartsick about a problem with the colour sensor. This has also happened with 14oz banner. I wondered if my heat settings were too high but that should only affect the media coming out of the printer and ink/dry quality.

Steve

dypinc

Heat setting too high or Vacuum too low. Also start your vinyl after the heaters to avoid the lead edge peel back.

papabud

Lone Wolf
if your saying its pealing back when you load it causing issues.
its an easy fix
hp sent a big plastic piece to aid in loading
but for me this was just to odd to work with
i simply apply a long strip of masking tape to the lead edge folded over front to back before i load
and always advance my media till its almost coming out of the printer.
with these two steps i almost never get a head strike

Dan360

I just raise the level for the rollers when loading it and the leading edge doesn't catch.

Never had head strikes though.

Lane J

I do have problems when I let the printer feed the IJ180 into the pinch rollers automatically. The vinyl tends to peel back and jam. I prefer to lift the blue lever and feed the IJ180 in manually. And I always feed the material past the curing chamber. Every material. I know it's wasteful but it cuts down on headstrikes and jams immensely. Your heat may be to high or your vac might be too low, but if you're using a SAV profile it should be pretty close.
Multiple headstrikes can gooch you sensor or at least make it too dirty to operate correctly. It can usually be cleaned, if not it might have to be replaced.

Lea Marc

Thanks for the tips everyone that's good to know. I haven't adjusted the heat or vacuum settings past the default ones in the loaded 3M profiles. What's a good range for the vacuum?

dypinc

I use 25 on the Vac and the Heat at 230 for 10 pass. At 12 pass 220 might be good enough but try 225 first. Because of over-lam adhesion problems you want to be careful and not go too low on the heat.

AKwrapguy

Thanks for the tips everyone that's good to know. I haven't adjusted the heat or vacuum settings past the default ones in the loaded 3M profiles. What's a good range for the vacuum?

Lower your temp, if you look into the heater while it's printing you should see the material slightly distorted but pretty much should be flat. Depending on your environment, number of passes and ink density will depend on your heat setting. It's worth playing around with to get it dialed in.

Sign.ed

I cut about a inch of vinyl off the backer when loading 180. Never have any issues with the vinyl trying to peel during loading. Also, I have not once used a default profile. They are good starting points but, I always customize my profiles, the environment you're printing in can change your settings even from shop to shop in the same climate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikarasu

I thought it was just me... When I load 180 automatically, it does peel back and get caught. I resorted to manually loading also - A bit of a pain, but still. I also start the media past the feeders. I tried to start it where the printer wants to, and if it's a big job that usually works... but I printed a couple 12 inch decals, it printed fine.. but then when it came back after drying, it caused a headstrike. So now I just waste a few inches at the beginning of the print to make sure it never comes past the heater.