• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180C-10 with Oracal 210 Lam

Knep

Just wondering if this would work OK? I have never crossed laminate and vinyl like that, but I'm going to be doing 2 asphalt late model race car warps, and wasn't sure if for a race car that would be OK? Just trying to save a little to make a little if it would work! With the compound curves of a asphalt car, the 3m works so much better!

Thanks,
Mike

CanuckSigns

Oracal 210 is a thick calendered laminate, you won't have much luck with compound curves, depending on how much value you place on your time, I doubt you will see too many savings.

Try contacting BigFish, he is a merchant member here and he is known to have really good prices on media, I'm sure he can point you to a cheaper cast laminate than 3M.

Molenbeek

Its ok to cross brands of laminate as long as you realize there will be no warranty from either and you use the right one.

If you are using the 3M Ij180C and want to use OraGuard laminate- you really need to use the 290 as its a cast laminate.

www.advantagesignsupply.com

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Don't do it. You need to use a cast laminate over cast vinyl especially when installing over compound curves. It won't conform and the edges will likely curl and shrink back.

But... It can work short term the other way around on flat surfaces (calendered vinyl with cast laminate) But it's always best to match.

njshorts

I know this isn't the classifieds, but I have a partial roll of 8518 I'll let go of cheap- my installer decided he wanted to go with all oracal for the job I bought it for. PM if interested.