• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M-IJ180Cv-3 10 gloss curling and repositioning?

bayviewsignworks

We've been getting 3M-IJ180Cv-3 10 gloss and using Oraguard 290 cast. So far we've had pretty good luck installing this combination. We recently tried a new rolland for some reason as we installed a panel the edges wanted curl in or up or whatever. It seemed like we were spending a good deal of time uncurling the edges to continue. We also noticed that as soon as it was applied,and not using a great dealof force,just normal; pressure, it didn't want to come back up. It stretched in places which caused problems with registration. The job came out great however and the client paid loved it.Concerned about our next project though. there was some heavy coverage (see pic)

Roland SP-540i, PCV2 (Roland) print profile,spot colors checked.

Attachments

• IMG_3685.jpg
    IMG_3685.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 102

jfiscus

Rap Master
From your description, you are not waiting long enough for the ink to properly cure/outgass before you are laminating the prints. That is what causes the edge curling issues you describe on wraps.

danno

From your description, you are not waiting long enough for the ink to properly cure/outgass before you are laminating the prints. That is what causes the edge curling issues you describe on wraps.

Also ink oversaturaion can cause this.

boxerbay

or it could be your laminator is too tight stretching your 290. make sure the collars are not tight and they roll freely with just enough tension to keep it from slacking up.

bayviewsignworks

Thanks for the replies! I think we may have rushed that one through a little.I think we gave it an overnight.rob more over saturation than anything; a lot of red, and the black I use in 100% Pantone black.

As far as the laminator, we have a Seal and the pressure is what it is. I mean you crank it back until the rollers touch - that's it. I've tried less pressure and get bubbles and the braper messes up.

boxerbay

on the laminator i think you misunderstood me. im not referring to the pinch roller pressure. I am referring to the amount of resistance on the rollers. not sure if you SEAL has brakes on the media shaft collars that create tension in the media. when you turn the collar there is a leather disk in there that creates tension. if the leather disk is very worn you dont get a smooth brake. you either have no brake or too much brake. if you have too much tension it will stretch the thin 8518 or 290 laminate. this stretched laminate will then want to pull back to its normal state. we just figured this out after finding many curled prints. we ordered new leather disks and now we have medium tension. the leather has the rough side that acts a bit spongy to give medium resistance. after time the disks lose that roughness and become smooth and hard so when you tighten it you only get no brake or heavy brake.