• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ180CV3 (Which application tape?)

Ava

Hi guys,

We recently purchased a SP-300i. Previously we were running a GX-24 cutter. Like with most people who use this, the standard process is cut the vinyl, weed it, apply app tape for vinyl decals.

With the new SP-300i we still want to make decals, just full color decals with contour. Question is, after we laminate our decals, which application tape should we use?

Also, we're currently we're using 3M IJ180CV3, and will be using 3M 8518 laminate. The vinyl is 2 mil (thin) and the laminate which we haven't purchased yet but plan to is 2 mil as well, for a total of 4 mil vinyl + laminate. Our concern is will the application tape affect the laminate in any way?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

J

john1

I had a similar thread a few weeks ago and pretty much you can use regular ol' Rtape conform series app tape but since the cast printed vinyl's liner is air egress, It's going to not want to stick hardly at all to the backing paper.

What most on here said they do is they leave a thin border around the design getting pre masked and just weed that away once it's installed.

The app tape shouldn't have any trouble with the laminate, The only trouble i would see would be if it was masked for a extended period of time and may leave some goo behind.

The only time you should use app tape is if the contour cut shape is something that is complex.

Scott Reynolds

Also, we're currently we're using 3M IJ180CV3, and will be using 3M 8518 laminate. Our concern is will the application tape affect the laminate in any way?

You will have a 4 mil laminated decal with removable adhesive, why use transfer tape?

Ava

You will have a 4 mil laminated decal with removable adhesive, why use transfer tape?
We're not sure if the 3M material will be peel and stick friendly. Ideally we would like for customers to be able to just peel the decal and stick them.