• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ35C & Oracal 3651RA

reQ

I am using oracal vinyls for almost 5 years now and pretty happy with them. (except all wraps are done on 3M IJ180cv3.)

I pay $285.00 per roll of regular 3651 & $375 for 3651RA. I have another supplier who sell only 3M products, and they sell IJ35C @ $264.00 per roll. Thats even cheaper than my 3651 which is not RA.

I am that kind of person, if something is working fine for me, its hard to change but the price gap is noticeable.

Is IJ35C same quality vinly as 3651? Or should i stick with Oracal?

This is my everyday vinyl for only flat applications.

TXFB.INS

IMO no, we had 3 projects where the IJ35 vinyl separated from the adhesive. This was all with different rolls / Lot numbers

so we are dedicated to Oracal.

ChrisN

We use IJ35-20 (matte) for all of our UV printed vinyl. We don't laminate, and I don't recall any issues. Our list price is also quite a bit lower than what you gave, but I see you are in Canada, which I suppose makes a big difference.

reQ

Biggest concern i have, will it survive outside on dibond panel, for 4-5 years? Laminated of course. Because oracal does the job just fine for this time period

Asuma01

We have been using IJ35c for going on 5 years. Never had any major problems.
We make sure to clean our substrates with methanol before application.

reQ

Well, i think i will get a roll to try it out. I am not worried about $265 dollars to spend, i just don't want to end up with unhappy customers, which will cost me way more than that roll

Asuma01

Yup, a bit, cuz...

Methanol, also known as wood alcohol, is a commonly used organic solvent that, because of its toxicity, can cause metabolic acidosis, neurologic sequelae, and even death, when ingested.

I knew about that. But no one is ingesting it. So other then don't drink methanol is there anything else I should know? Or are there risks with exposure?

TimToad

After trying several media including IJ35 for our standard, every day media, we've settled on Oracal 3165RA and get it for $211.00 for 54" x 150'.

Its a little thicker and once laminated, we just like the way it lays down. There are plenty of cheaper options, but for a five year material in its price range with air egress, I'm sold. My predecessor and his employee (our former employee now) would use the cheapest stuff out there, go through gallons and gallons of Rapidtac and still have tons of bubbles and failures after just a few years. They bought into that " the bubbles work themselves out in the sun" myth.

We mount everything dry and even my beginner wife who has been doing this full time for about 4 months can lay a huge panel without any bubbles.

VTSigns

We have been using IJ35C for more than 5 years and have never encountered any problems. We pay about $170 for a 54" wide roll. To me it is the best calendared air egress film available for the money.

Zx360

IMO no, we had 3 projects where the IJ35 vinyl separated from the adhesive. This was all with different rolls / Lot numbers

so we are dedicated to Oracal.

We had the same issues with ij35. Multiple rolls with vinyl and adhesive seperation issues... We won't use 3m anymore because of this.
We use oracal for almost everything now.

reQ

Well, ordered 1 roll to try it out.... if it will not be good enough for dibond sign, i will certainly use it for coroplast & simple decals

reQ

I would give Avery 2923EZ Apply a shot. Paying about $200/roll right now and have been using it for 6 years w/o any issues. Usually use it in combination with Oraguard 210 gloss or Avery DOL 2080 matte.

Goes down like butter and prints beautifully on our Rolands. :thumb:

If you need even cheaper media for temporary coroplast signs, Avery 3323 is around $140/roll and mounts fine with a laminator. No air release but you don't need that for mounting.

yeah, i was using 3323 for coro signs, like it. Checked prices for 2923 with two suppliers (one of them expresssign) and roll is around 250-270.

Fingers crossed that ij35c will be decent cal vinyl combined with 210 lam... don't want people coming back within a year or two because their sign is peeling. With oracal i expect around 4-5 years lifespan (as it stated in its description)

reQ

Just a quick update to whoever will wonder about same question. I am half way through my first roll of 35c. It prints as nice as 3651, install very clean & easy... will see how it will last.

P.S. Only one thing i am not happy with, that 35c smells pretty bad when its getting printed on lol but its not a major problem.