• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ35c vs IJ180c

signgal01

I've always used high performance vinyl films because our climate is so extreme with UV rays at high altitudes and extreme cold in the winter months. Just curious what materials you use for signs and/or vehicle graphics/wraps.
Thanks,
SignGal

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Huge difference between those 2. Sort of like comparing a Hyundai Sonata to a Nissan 300Z in performance. There is really no comparison. Pretty much strictly 3M 180Cv3 for wraps for us. Primarily laminated with 3M 8518 lam on all but the roof, hood, and trunk lid which 3M 8528 lam.

IronHawk

Huge difference between those 2. Sort of like comparing a Hyundai Sonata to a Nissan 300Z in performance. There is really no comparison. Pretty much strictly 3M 180Cv3 for wraps for us. Primarily laminated with 3M 8518 lam on all but the roof, hood, and trunk lid which 3M 8528 lam.

:goodpost:

We'll use IJ35-10 sometimes for mounting graphics to PVC or Gator for exhibit graphics. IJ180 for wall mural graphics or vehicles and signage when the customer is likely to reclaim materials when they update their graphics.

signgal01

This is exactly what I was thinking.... I just had a sales rep tell me that the IJ35c was a good material that a majority of companies are using as their primary material. IJ180 is a good material and always lasts but is pricey... hard to explain to the end client that is getting cheaper signs from the guy in the garage or online.
SignGal

Circleville Signs

It really isn't that hard. Do yourself a simple little test.

Make 2 decent sized signs. Exact same design - ideally something with heavy color saturation.

Print one on cheap calendared stuff, and one on a good cast vinyl. Now, laminate HALF of each one. Apply them to the same substrate type (I'd suggest polymetal, although you could go with PVC).

Now, go put both signs up on your roof, facing upwards, for the rest of the summer.

You now have a VISUAL display of what the wrong materials will do to a sign.