• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M IJ40C installation...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Got two rooms of this done today, but curious if there are any specific techniques I may not be aware of when installing? I used a 6" squeeze with a felt edge. Wondering if one of the Big Squeegee's would have helped.

It's pretty forgiving stuff, but tends to wrinkle up easily - I think from being so thin. Middle lays easy, edges tend to wrinkle.

Anyway, haven't messed with much of it, so any tips would be appreciated for future use.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpg
    IMG_8461.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_8462.jpg
    IMG_8462.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_8464.jpg
    IMG_8464.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 134

HulkSmash

ij40 is one of the easiest vinyls to install.

Wrinkles are most likely caused from not being installed evenly all the way down or side to side. Be sure to stay level in tacking.

Cale Frederick

anyone use this stuff on trailers? what type of lam do you throw on it

I have used this on trailers and it worked great. I have used 8918 and 8919 as well as some of the Feller's Lamex cast. All seemed to install the same and have only ever had minor issues with any of them.
However... with 3M's new reputation I no longer use it. But it was nice to work with.

And not to foret... very nice Moze!

FatCat

...Wondering if one of the Big Squeegee's would have helped.

I often use one of my BS yard sign tools to help lay big pieces of vinyl faster. The soft felt edge doesn't damage un-laminated prints (if applicable) and the size really makes it go faster. However, depending on the circumstances you still may need to go back and touch up with a small squeegee if you don't apply even pressure. Give it a shot. :thumb:

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thank you for the responses guys. You're probably right - I was likely putting uneven pressure on the roll as I was pulling it down. I really think the Big Squeegee would have worked. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

HulkSmash

Thank you for the responses guys. You're probably right - I was likely putting uneven pressure on the roll as I was pulling it down. I really think the Big Squeegee would have worked. Oh well, maybe next time.

Thanks again, I appreciate the responses.

for the future... ij35 C works just as well or better than ij40.. when used indoors...

and is a quarter the price..

then again i wouldn't suggest using 3M, so try phototec..

Moze

Precision Sign Services
for the future... ij35 C works just as well or better than ij40.. when used indoors...

and is a quarter the price..

then again i wouldn't suggest using 3M, so try phototec..

This was all customer supplied, I just helped with the install.

And yeah, I know 3M isn't exactly in your Fav 5 right now... :smile: