• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m lam cloudy

mtrider

wow.. we just lamed a fell wrap 3m180 v3 with 8519 and the right half of the entire roll was kinda cloudy... didnt notice until we completed laminating?? gave the customer the option of changing, but it was for a short term promotion ( 1month) so they just went with it.. offered him a discount on the next on... it almost looked like satin or a light flat on one side and gloss on the other... every panel was the same? i would like to avoid this, but how would you be able to tell before you laminated the print... i guess a test piece??

mtrider

Nah.. our prints outgassed for 48 hours... part of the wrap was laminated with a second roll of 8519 .. maybe 60 square ft.... no change in appearance on those pieces .. luckily it was the rear of the truck, so it didnt match up to the sides of the box truck..weird.... how is only 1/2 the roll cloudy?

HulkSmash

If you're using intermediate 3m lam it's cloudy because it has a paper backing. Most lams with paper backing are going to be cloudy. You can take a torch, and heat it.. it'll all come out. it takes a while... Which is why i don't buy 3m intermediate lam, it's trash. It has nothing to do with outgasing

HulkSmash

For intermediate Oracle 210, anything else 8518.

for REALLY cheap jobs -- Some Grimcos Briteline. Briteline gets the clouding but comes out in the sun or heat.

J

john1

If you're using intermediate 3m lam it's cloudy because it has a paper backing. Most lams with paper backing are going to be cloudy. You can take a torch, and heat it.. it'll all come out. it takes a while... Which is why i don't buy 3m intermediate lam, it's trash. It has nothing to do with outgasing

8509 is trash. Found out the hard way. It's just clear vinyl not laminate at all. False marketing to say the least.

Grimco brite line cal lam works good, its general formulations rebranded and no clouding at all here. Oracal 210 doesn't cloud either on me.

HulkSmash

8509 is trash. Found out the hard way. It's just clear vinyl not laminate at all. False marketing to say the least.

Grimco brite line cal lam works good, its general formulations rebranded and no clouding at all here. Oracal 210 doesn't cloud either on me.

Grimcos briteline does cloud by the way.

HulkSmash

I only run 8158 on 180

the rest is briteline or 210.

and some other random lam, depending on the application...

AdamLarson

mtrider- sorry to hear that you had some issues with IJ180Cv3 and 8518. Any overlam that isn't truly optically clear (i.e. everything, but 8914) will "show" a bit and might affect the resolution/quality of your print. Not sure how some of your wrap looked great and other parts looked cloudy. I recommend taking pictures and submitting a claim through your distributor. If the material was bad, we will do our best to take care of you. Shoot me a note (ajlarson@mmm.com) and I would be more than happy to walk to you through the process.

Colorado Signs- I am sorry that you have had negative experiences with 8509. As the product marketer I must tell you that this film is designed to be used as an overlam, not a digitally printable clear film. The only clear printable film that we also recommend as an overlam is our economy product, IJ10-114 (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...ECIE20S7M3000000_nid=4XR0VM3X4WbeGW5VRFJ6Q9gl ). Have you ever tried 8508? This a CAST film at a calendered price. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding about 8509.

Let me know how I can help, guys.

Thanks for letting me participate on these posts, hope you all had a nice Easter.

Regards,

Adam Larson
3M Commercial Graphics- Marketing
ajlarson@mmm.com

mtrider

Adam, Thanks for the response... Great to know that Reps are Monitoring our Gripes.... i really just chalked it off ... as we have never had this with this combo before? i have since ran 2 rolls of each with no problem... it wasn't even a small issue with the customer..its coming off in a month or so, and being replaced.. what i meant about some of it being cloudy.... was a bad choice of description... the left side of each panel , was gloss as advertised....the right side was more flat or Matte.... at first we thought something with one of the machines.... but subsequent print and laminations have been fine?? and it looked ok after we printed it?? it wasn't AS flat as using a Matte or Flat Lam ... but definitely noticeable....but i will take a pic. for reference..
BTW... i met you at a training seminar out in AZ. a couple years back... hope all is well!!.. Thanks again

AdamLarson

mtrider-things are well, thanks for asking. Glad to hear that this issue wasn't major, but I still apologize that it created some concern for you.

Also, happy to hear that someone who attended one of my training seminars is out there doing great with their wrapping business.

Out of curiosity, you are good with 3M monitoring these posts (to help) when you said, "great to know that Reps are Monitoring our Gripes," correct? A lot of sarcasm floats around the social media world. We are relatively new to the Signs101 site, so we are sensitive to the overall acceptance of us participating. Hopefully it is helping.

Send over those pics if you get a chance. Thanks.

Regards,

Adam Larson
3M Commercial Graphics- Marketing
ajlarson@mmm.com, 651.733.9259