• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M or Avery

neil_se

The cost is so high every time though as I've got to buy another roll at almost $1000+GST while they process the claim. 4 rolls in 4 months all from different batches is too much, but 3M want $1450 for an IJ180/8518 kit, $1650 for an IJ480/8548 kit, and Oracal is about $2000 for a 3951GRA/290G kit! Arlon DPF6000 is too tacky and the 3220 laminate fails too readily, Oracal 3751 isn't sold here.

I don't understand why it's so freakin hard to get something decent in a premium vinyl. We never have any problems with our monomeric or polymeric calendered vinyls.

Bly

We never had to buy a replacement for any faulty rolls.
Time for a new supplier maybe mate.
They all have occasional flaws - the difference is when I have a problem with a 3M product they have a replacement roll within 24 hours and the 3M rep is in the shop checking out the problem.

Are those prices ex gst?

neil_se

Yeah they're Ex-GST prices from AVS. I've requested prices from HVG, and Spandex no longer sells 3M.

I've been onto the phone to the supplier and it seems Avery is aware of the problem as they've got some "Latex Optimised" media in Sydney that has been tested to work ok. They're going to ship me a few of those kits instead of what they've got in Qld. I also checked what's been happening with the payment amounts as I don't handle accounts, and although I receive an invoice with the replacement rolls, they do credit the amount back that month.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
All we use is Avery wrap film. I have tested 3M and Oracal and the initial tack is brutal. We found with Avery that you MUST heat set after its installed. We have used it for over 5 years and the only comebacks we get are from getting in a hurry and not heat setting it.

This is my experience as well.

3M you can install the whole wrap then post heat. Avery you really need to post heat each panel as you go. I think Avery's initial tack, even squeegeed, is lower than 3M's but after the adhesive wets out it's the same.

The shop I used to work in tested the 1005 SC EZ with 1360 prior to its release and it held up just as good as 3M. We purposely bridged and stretched multiple problem areas on our Chevy van. 4 years later it looked like the day we installed it.

I have printed on all the major brands of vinyl and ever since the recession started they all have contamination in them. I think they cut QC's as a cost savings first. It's always fun to find a smashed fly in the middle of of a roll on a long run.