• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m/orajet compatability question

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
As long as your using cast with cast you should be fine. I know alot of guys that do it and have never had any issues.

MikePro

i only mix brands when its cast+cast. I laminate 3M with Oracal and vice versa all the time on short runs that I can find scrap of either to make work. Not a single issue in the past year or so.

HulkSmash

Well if it turns greys, fleshtones, and light yellows to green - you know it's 3M

By it i mean laminate

Last edited:

HulkSmash

It would void the warranty if you tell them, its darn near impossible for anyone to tell who's laminate is on top. They can tell the vinyl but the lam is tricky.

99% of the time they want a sample, and they will test it in their labs, and determine if it's theirs or not.

MikePro

I'm curious if anyone's actually gotten anything out of 3M's warranty

we had issues a few years back and they pointed out the fine print that basically hung us out to dry. I still have faith in both products and don't forsee a need to stick to warranty guidelines, given that they will most likely find a way to blame you in the end.

i find no reason to buy an entire roll of 3M overlam if you've got enough leftover from your Oracal roll to complete the project, or vice versa. Just make sure you take notes, in case you have to match anything down the line.

DO NOT MIX CALENDARED PRODUCTS! i've done so in the past for freebie coroplast signs and worked great for what they were for..... buuuut after a few months sitting in the scrap pile, i've noticed delamination from the two different materials shrinking against each other.

Steve C.

Well if it turns greys, fleshtones, and light yellows to green - you know it's 3M

So, Are you saying you don't like 3M? I've never used it. Just considering it
because I have a 46in printer and I'm tired of paying extra for a 62in roll
that has to be cut down. I can buy 48in 3M not Oracal.

HulkSmash

So, Are you saying you don't like 3M? I've never used it. Just considering it
because I have a 46in printer and I'm tired of paying extra for a 62in roll
that has to be cut down. I can buy 48in 3M not Oracal.

i like their product, not their company.
that's all.

Steve C.

Thanks for all the help and advise!! I was able to get 48" Orajet3951RA from
Advantage Sign Supply, but the answer to my question is still good to have.

Thanks again...Steve C.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have done a good many wraps in the past on 3M 180 laminated with Oracal 290GF. No problems at all.... the 290GF variant of the 290 lam is optically clear. Great all purpose cast lam in my opinion - works equally as well on wraps and window perf.