• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m perfect match red...what a f#@kn joke!

"Deposit Please"

Last minute request for racing stripes on 2011 challenger. I called a supplier that doesn't carry oracal, so i went with 3m vinyl. I asked that i get a red to match the oracal's red. They said it's called perfect match red by 3m. Sweeet. Made the purchase, went to the shop, opened the box and what do i get! Wasted time, Crap red and a disappointed customer. The vinyl on left is oracals red and one on right is 3m's perfect match red. A lesson f##kn learned man!

Attachments

• 3m pink stripe.jpg
    3m pink stripe.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 151

#1 SignPro

I just recently had a call-out for this color. When I saw the color thought it was marked wrong. They should call it perfect match pink.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
looks faded to me. send it back. there are so many suppliers with vinyl. why were you stuck with just one that only had 3m?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The problem is your distributor's bad advice ... not the name 3M chose for that particular shade of red. Had he recommended 3M Cardinal Red or Geranium he would have been a lot closer to a match.

"Deposit Please"

Your right, but for 3m to call that a perfect red? I was in a tight spot before weekend and the suppliers didn't carry the oracal hp red 15" x 10 yds, so stuck with a faded, peachish pinkish perfect red by 3m. Nice car, messed up red! :banghead:

Attachments

• sux.jpg
    sux.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 104

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Many shades of Red.
Trying to match a shade of Oracal's Red and 3M's Red you better have a color chart handy.

"Deposit Please"

I know mike, colorchart would've helped, but i don't use 3m, so didn't have one. That's ok i'm gonna pass on 3m altogether at this point. thanks

DRamm76

You'd have a better chance coming closer to Oracal's red by bringing the Oracal colros into Flexi and printing it lol
Sorry that happened..
To me, sometimes the whole 3M thing reminds me of the Z.Cavaricci and IOU Clothing days..where people just bought the name but never got the true quality behind the $110 pair of jeans

"Deposit Please"

eeehh, f##k it, the dude just bought a white charger with pink racing stripes on it ! I'll just print a pink rose and slap it on the back bumper.

SlightlyChilled

WOW let me get this right. You are mad because 3M made a up a name for a color and you don't like it.
You picked it they didn't pick you. :banghead::banghead:

Sorry I feel you have no real ground to be mad.

Passion fruit doesn't make me more passionate should I be made a mother nature for not making me feel sexy :loveya::loveya::loveya:

iSign

running out of red... that is an amateur maneuver...
not stocking EVERY vinyl chart, just for this sort of situation...
...that is an amateur maneuver

if it doesn't match the next roll of "perfect match" red, THEN you have cause for complaint...

It's not like the name was meant to imply it would match a competitors product :omg:

radiohead223

always cross check your own colours before ordering.... i never get the right colours if i let my supplier choose for me.

have to keep a large range of colour charts on hand here to mix and match

WildWestDesigns

have to keep a large range of colour charts on hand here to mix and match

I do the same thing with thread charts. Sulky, Anton Robinson, Hemingworth etc. I really try not to go by screen for color. Sometimes that's all you have for a distance transaction, but if I run out of a thread and I need to match it, I go to the charts and look to find the closest one.

I actually had to do that not that long ago. First thread I used was Sulky's "Fresh Green" and matched it up with Hemingworth's "Ocean Spray" (go figure that one).

toucan_graphics

meh, poor planning on your part, but we all get stuck in that boat from time to time.

I've never been a fan of 3M anyway ever since they had the shrinking problem a while back. (2004 I think). I use Oracal and FDC.

WrapperX

This sounds like you dropped the ball and 3M didn't pick it up for you. sure your situation sucks but it's no ones fault but your own.

toucan_graphics

That was Avery

You're right, and I'm dumb. :Oops: That WAS Avery, but there was some issue with 3M that made me stop using it (except the reflective variety). I'm just getting back into the game after a 3 year military hitch so I'm still dusting off the cobwebs from my memory as far as signage goes.

8DC

Color chips and swatches are one of the most valuable tools you have in this business. I have colorcharts for every vinyl manufacturer that I have ever used, fabric swatches from apparel manufacturers, embroidery threads, and even my own color charts printed on different substrates and colored T-shirts for sublimation.