• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Scotchprint

The Giraffe

So I started what should've been a simple little boat today. I'm using 3M Scotchprint 1080. I've used the black and white before with no issues. I'm using the gloss red metallic and it's costing me money. The stuff feels like I'm using an overhead transparency...very brittle. It tore halfway through when it should've just stretched.

The spec sheet recommends 60-90* both material and ambient. I was at the very bottom of the scale today. 63ish on both counts. I've told a very understanding customer that we'll be waiting on a 75 plus day to attempt again.

Anybody else had issues with the gloss stuff?

Border

At 63 degrees and outside install, there is not much you can do but wait for a warmer day, unless you can get it indoors and heated somewhere. I always keep my shop at 70-75 degrees or above when installing wrap material. Makes it so much nicer to work with.

Battling a cool breeze outdoors will make about any vinyl brittle.

ProWraps

1080 series is a very thin material compared to a 180/8518 or comparable sandwich.

almost half as thin. this makes it much more problematic in cold conditions. par for the course with that material.

you made a good choice of waiting for higher temps.