• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M v3 Wrap Material pulling up Paints Clear Coat

walters signs

Just got a roll of this stuff to try out, we've been using oracal and avery but oracal stuck to good and avery installed awesome but the print quality just didnt seem to be the best.

So anyways we printed something out, stuck it on the hood of the truck and after were done installing it and we cut it out we had to peel off the parts that were trimmed out and it pulled up the clear coat on both sides of the hood. Now i don't know if this is cuz it was an old truck (its a 99 chevy but the paint job really doesnt look that bad) or the vinyl, anyone have simliar issues at all with the newer 3M wrap material, the v3.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Only time I've had paint or clearcoat come up is if the vehicle (or part of it) was repainted at some point. There are a few vehicle out though with known substandard clearcoat adhesion issues from the factory though like Jeep Grand Cherokees.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Sounds like you cut or scored the clearcoat when cutting on the paint.
Paint looking "not to bad" on a 99 model is either old, repainted or touched up.
Don't think it is the 3M.

wayne k
guam usa

JoshLoring

If it was a Chevy or GMC van, count on it. Lol those hoods were all painted horribly that year. I've ripped paint with blue masking tape.

walters signs

this vehicle has original paint, and we didn't cut the vehicle on the truck ,we cut the edge of the hood and the edge of the body next to the hood is where the clear coat is ripping up when we pulled off the excess vinyl (and it wasnt even squeegeed down there). It's a factory paint issue for sure. Glad its not a customers vehicle though.