• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Vikuiti film

WB

Anyone ever use this stuff.. It's freak awsome.. very exspensive but awsome..

we just did a custom tradeshoow booth with a built in Projector and stand alone panel with the film built in. Very impressive

Letterbox Mike

I've been looking for an excuse to use it, it's very cool. We've got an old warehouse building here in town with tons of ground level windows in renovated commercial spaces, we wanted to cover the windows in Vikuiti and project a video loop on it of busy retail and office interiors to help draw prospective tenants to look, the client was stoked about it, the city shot it down... )-:

WB

I've been looking for an excuse to use it, it's very cool. We've got an old warehouse building here in town with tons of ground level windows in renovated commercial spaces, we wanted to cover the windows in Vikuiti and project a video loop on it of busy retail and office interiors to help draw prospective tenants to look, the client was stoked about it, the city shot it down... )-:

that would cost some serious coin. The piece we got was 24"x54" and cost us $700 with shipping

Letterbox Mike

I know, we were pretty bummed, it was a nice project. They're spending a gazillion dollars on all sorts of improvements for the building so this wouldn't have been too much for them, but the stupid city had to rain on our parade...

SurfaceSigns

Coming from the the entertainment side of things, when I first saw this product I was blown away with it, then I was told the price. As far as Projection Screen material goes, this stuff is priced obscenely. Fine for small projects, like the one the OP did, but for anything larger scale, it's just not realistically priced, in my head anyways.

Pat - The Projectors being used for this are just your average LCD/DLP Projector, which can range from $500 to well into the thousands, depending on the resolution, brightness, etc. On top of that, the projectors go through lamps every 2000-5000 hours, and cost between $200-700 to replace. Canon, Epson, and NEC make some very good units.

On the content side, costs really depend on the customers needs, and costs can get out of control quickly. There are a number of companies that can produce content on your behalf, as it's not really a DIY.

On long term installs for products like this, I've found that the problem is that the client gets weary of the on going operating and content creation costs, and lets the install go dark.

CheapVehicleWrap

Got any pictures by the way? Do you know roughly how much the projector was and what's involved in creating the display graphics?

I've always been curious about the process/costs involved on top of the actual film

Don't go with a $500 projector. Spend 1000-1200 at least. The brightness and picture quality are much higher.

Also many lamps have a 300-600 hour rating.

WB

I do have a few crappy pics, we're making a video of it for our site. The client was happy and got a great response at the event he was at. We also called a few other companies we deal with to come take a look and got alot of interest.

I do agree that the cost if high but compared to other rear projection films I've seem this is the best hands down. You can almost be 90 degrees to the side and still see what's be projected as with others I've seen you almost have to be right in front.

10sacer

Did about 100 24x36 displays for a regional bank out of custom cut pieces of acrylic with the film applied to it and the mask set to the shape of the cutouts combined with static graphics on each side. Turned out very nice.
It ain't cheap, but the the "cool factor" is top notch.

I have a video I shot from SGIA last year when they rolled it out for a static "spokesperson" demo. If I can figure out how to load or link to it I will share or take a look at this link to Mall of America usage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOM3AAxvrZU&feature=related