• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M vs. Oracal- calendered vinyl comparison only please

Gene@mpls

I would like to thank you all for your comments before this thread dies
and falls off the edge of the universe. Especially the comments on 8508/9-
I spent a lot of time on the vinyl comparisons and had not thought of the
laminates. In the cowboys catalog they are 'up to one year durability' and
I got Grimco's happy friday specials and they are listed (also in their catalog)
as 3 year products- vs. 4 years for 210. I just found this on a 3m brochure-
' No durability warranty, Heat and tension cause curling, Excessive stretching
causes a white appearance. Not for use on applications that must be stretched during application, Not for warranted graphics. Nice

Graphics2u

I have used only Oracal products for production work. Tried a few 3M samples but not real seriously. I have had great success with oracal 3651 and 210 laminate. One of the reasons I started using it was because it didn't shrink very much for a calendared film. The 210 lam will shrink slightly more than the vinyl outdoors. The 3551RA / 290 combo outdoors on flat graphics works great for me. Kinda hard to leave something behind when you have established a track record with it.

J

john1

Grimcos briteline is general formulations, the vinyl and lam :)

Speedsterbeast

The timing for this thread could not have been better.
I was literally just going to pick up the phone and order some 8509 lam (I have only used 210, but I can get the 3m in one day instead of 2 days)
Now I will wait the extra day and use the 210.
Signs 101 saved my but again!

HulkSmash

The timing for this thread could not have been better.
I was literally just going to pick up the phone and order some 8509 lam (I have only used 210, but I can get the 3m in one day instead of 2 days)
Now I will wait the extra day and use the 210.
Signs 101 saved my but again!

8509 is a joke. Barely any uv protection. It's a PVC printable that they just figured to make a lam too.