• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m woodgrain and stripe remover

Dixonsignshop

3m woodgrain and stripe remover? Anyone ever use it? Results? Have a situation that is a rush job to say the least. Trying to remove the old lettering we applied six or seven years ago in order to update the client’s fleet. We need to strip seven identical vehicles and we are having a heck of a time getting this off. Originally we put on Oracal 751 090 metallic silver on a black truck. All other colors came off with just a heat gun … this particular color is giving us a run. The graphic is roughly 10” X 72”, looking for another option if any? :thankyou:

Border

That stuff works great but can totally ruin paint jobs too, if it isn't a factory-baked, or at least 2 part hardened paint job.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I've used it and don't care much for it because of how it works as a two part system. The stripe remover does a great job of removing just the vinyl but leaves a perfect coat of adhesive behind which doesn't come off completely until you've sprayed on five or six applications of the adhesive remover.

I would suggest you try steam removal. A Wagner steam wallpaper remover costs around $50 at Home Depot and works great for most things without leaving any adhesive behind.

Jillbeans

Once was enough for me. It's expensive, it's messy, and it didn't do crap.
Try Rapid Remover, or that other aerosol stripe remover they sell at Advanced Auto Parts, smaller than a spray paint can costs about $3.99 made in Canada.
Love....Jill

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I've used many times and as was said it dose work. You do have to be careful on what you spray it on , if it's a repaint I would'nt do it, but if it's a factory paint it's OK. It will leave glue behind but if you don't let it set for too long, sometimes a lot of the glue will come off with the vinyl. I would then use mineral spirits on a rag and soak the remaining glue and scrape it with a plastic squeegee. This was a little work but it would clean up nicely.
I have never tried the steam removal method like Fred mentioned but it sounds like that may be the best bet, especially seeing that the 3M remover was around $5 a can and it would'nt take much time for a $50 steamer to pay for itself.
Good luck... vinyl removal has always been the worst part of the sign business!