• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m wrap film took off paint...

gabagoo

Not a 3m issue, more of a body shop issue. How long does the paint have to sit on the vehicle before we can apply wrap film? I have a charger that we were repairing and we are just doing the front bumper (plastic)...The vinyl ripped off a 1" x 8" paint piece and it goes right down to a black primer? or actual black plastic bumper. I'm going to just put a strip of white 2ml over it and tell them they rushed it too fast or body shop did not prep properly. I think the vehicle was painted about 4 days ago.

TimToad

We do all of our local police, fire, etc. vehicles and we just had a case where a front quarter panel had been painted after repair and just the little bit of excess vinyl that spanned the door graphics and sat on that freshly painted quarter panel for a minute or so pulled up paint when we removed it.

The big freakin' rush to get stuff back on the road needs to be offset by the fact that body shops are responsible for telling their customers that a certain a mount of time must pass before they run the thing over to the wrap shop.

fresh

We just re-lettered a truck, and when I mentioned to the body shop that we prefer to wait a few weeks after its painted, they said their paint is baked on, and its hard the next day.

The vinyl went down fine, but if they ever take it off, I'd be surprised if it didn't pull up some of the paint.

Dennis422

We just re-lettered a truck, and when I mentioned to the body shop that we prefer to wait a few weeks after its painted, they said their paint is baked on, and its hard the next day.

The vinyl went down fine, but if they ever take it off, I'd be surprised if it didn't pull up some of the paint.

I lettered one trucks 2 days after painting. Avery 1005. I did not even squeegee it on, tried to reposition it, it already made some marks on the paint.
Told them that I can letter it, but that they will never remove the vinyl without damaging the paint.

If baked, it is OK when applying, but no one can guarantee you that it will come off easy. I usually ask the customer to sign a fresh paint waiver.

You honestly need to make all wrap jobs applying to vehicles that you waive all rights to damaged paint. My of my customers are off put by this, I often ask them did you buy the car used? Are you certain YOU know all the history of this vehicle, It very well could be repainted, but if we both don't know this, its not our responsibility to fix a problem created years ago and that we take every step and measure to ensure that paint is not harmed in the wrapping process by using only wrap grade materials and OEM inks.

Haven't lost a wrap job yet. We also are known in our area to be very honest and upfront with people and it has really worked in our favor.

I started doing waivers on every job after doing a training course in a high end wrap job about a year ago at the Paint is Dead facility, They've had paint come off Exotics. Why? Because someone damaged it during shipping process and tried to get it repaired without telling anyone. In their instance the wrap pulled up the entire rear bumper :omg:

Firefox

Depends where the fresh paint is at and how thick the body shop laid down the paint. Generally 2 to 6 months should be adequate.
Hot dry climates allow outgassing faster than cold humid...

Plus with a repaint you have no control over the combinations of prep work, primer, paint and clear coat used. Just too many variables so you need to manage customer expectations.

gabagoo

Depends where the fresh paint is at and how thick the body shop laid down the paint. Generally 2 to 6 months should be adequate.
Hot dry climates allow outgassing faster than cold humid...

Plus with a repaint you have no control over the combinations of prep work, primer, paint and clear coat used. Just too many variables so you need to manage customer expectations.

2 - 6 months? lets get real

Firefox

2 - 6 months? lets get real

I don't know who typed months! But, I meant weeks!:Oops:! Some people laminate right after laying down heavy ink coverage and get away with it, some don't.

It doesn't matter what you do, with a repaint if it isn't done correctly it will peel when you remove the vinyl no matter how long you wait.

S'N'S

I do jobs for the panel shops here every week....paint and bake(oven) today, sign tomorrow ... 7 years doing it this way and never had a problem. If it wasn't baked in an oven I would probably wait a couple of days for it to cure in full sun.
Plastic bumpers use a different primer and if the shop used just normal primer it wont stick properly and the paint will pull off the bumper.