• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

48" Translucnet for 1204

warlind

Any suggestions for material?. Applilcation will be a backlit outdoor full color gradient print mounted to white polycarb. 3' x 15'. I was going to order the orajet 3850 but I can only find it in 54"

Thanks! :help:

gnemmas

Fellers has 3m Scothcal 50, clear, 48". I use it's white exclusively for my 1204.

Backlite has two situations just discussed in detail in Sign Business magazine last issue.

1. lighted 24/7. use clear vinyl with "back light profile" The print will look darker when not lit, but look right when lights up.

2. Lighted nightly only: use normal profile print on clear vinyl once, then print on translucent white again, apply clear to lexan or acrylic, then apply the translucent white over with perfect registration. This way it will look right when light is off or on.

Letterbox Mike

We print alot of Oracal 8500 translucent white, it's not technically printable, just plotter cut, but if you unroll the first few feet anc clean it with alcohol before printing it prints great, been using it for a couple years with no problems at all. It's available in 48" rolls or by the yard from Fellers.

Matt Cuellar

Arlon DPF 6500 ( I have lots of 48" rolls) or Ivivid Semi-Matte Translucent 51x150. Also have lots of rolls. The Arlon is 2mil high performance cast and the ivivid is an intermediate 3-year vinyl. Works awesome on the 1204.

warlind

We print alot of Oracal 8500 translucent white, it's not technically printable, just plotter cut, but if you unroll the first few feet anc clean it with alcohol before printing it prints great, been using it for a couple years with no problems at all. It's available in 48" rolls or by the yard from Fellers.

Are you cleaning the entire area that you are printing or just the part that was made messy because it was cut by the yard?

thanks!

vinny88lr

I just finished 3 polycarbonate panels. We used Oracal 3850 and put it on clear polycarbonate with oraguard 215 over top. They look great. If your going to do it this way dont use white translucent polycarbonate, cause you will have 2 layers of translucent white with the poly and the vinyl and it wont light as well. Hope this helps

Letterbox Mike

Are you cleaning the entire area that you are printing or just the part that was made messy because it was cut by the yard?

thanks!

Usually just clean the first couple feet, after that it seems to be clean. I'd disagree with vinny (hello from Dayton btw) about applying the translucent white print to clear plastic. We've done a few like this and found the print washes out a bit more at night than if trans. white plastic was used. Most of our backlit faces are two ink passes on trans. white vinyl and trans. white acrylic or polycarb, even then sometimes I think they look a little washed out, especially if the lamps are new. This is where the 2-layer print as Gnemmas's #2 method above really looks good, perfect color during the day, deep rich non-washed-out color at night.

warlind

thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to go w/ the double pass on the 8500 - I'll let you know how she turns out.

Thanks again to all who replied.

Color Dude

The 3850 with lam is a great option. I have used it several times and never have had a problem with it. I have one sign up that 2 years old and it still looks like it did they day I put it up. I use 3850 for all my backlit printable signs. Thats good info to know that the 8500 series prints. Have to give that a shot and see how it turns out.