• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4b nothing happens when turned on?

gabagoo

I have an old friend in the biz who is turning 80 this year. He is originally a sign painter who eventually picked up a 4b and is now technically retired.
He still fiddles I guess with vinyl cutting the odd time.
He called me today and wondered if I would know why when he turns on his 4b nothing happens....no lights no noise. Dead!!
I told him of this wonderful forum and that I would post it and hopefully tomorrow I could direct him in some way....so...... anybody got a clue? fuse? if so where is it located?

SignManiac

Check to see if any of the old vacuum tubes have burned out. I think you might be able to get some old parts off of an old RCA Victrola.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Going from memory, I think the fuse is located on the rear of the chassis next to where the power cord is attached. If it's blown, replace it with a correct fuse and see if it fixes it. Beyond that, it's a matter of removing the cover and inspecting the entire motherboard and everything that plugs into it. The first thing I would check is whether the plotter connections are correct including the ground wire between the plotter and the motherboard.

Marlene

sounds really stupid but did he check to make sure the outlet it is plugged into is working OK or did he try another outlet? stupid, I know, but some times it is so simple people forget. also check all the cord as Fred said to make sure that they are plugged into the 4B completely.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, it doesn't sound stupid Marlene... I'll bet everyone has done that one a time or two.

Last week our soon to be EX-tenants were complaining about their computer server beeping. I asked how is this my fault ?? They proceeded that many of the things in that room are not working properly and I must've done something to ruin the power. Went down into the basement and saw the breaker was tripped. Turned out, they had the air conditioner unit in that room going, the microwave and the electric baseboard heater all going at the same time along with monitors, lights and other things. Someone had turned on the heater by mistake and that was my fault.

Sometimes very perplexing problems have really simple answers. :doh:

gabagoo

he is 79 so who knows you may be right!!! he is here now so I shall give him the fix possibilities...thanks