• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4over Pricing and Alternatives

BrianKE

I was asked to quote a customer on some printed folders. I typically use 4over for something like this but also check prices from places like Staples printing in case they are cheaper.

Today I priced the following from 4over:

250 - 9" X 12" Presentation Folder on 14PT Matte/Dull Finish $551.00 (my cost)

The same product & quantity (as far as I can tell by the specs from each) from Staples costs $479 and that would be the customer's cost.

Am I missing something in the 4over costs that would explain a wholesale price being ~15% over retail from Staples?

Are there any other printers that do these products that anyone would recommend?

I would really like to be able to offer these products to my customers but when the price is that different I am afraid my customer would think I am gouging them if they happened to check Staples or some other source.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I was asked to quote a customer on some printed folders. I typically use 4over for something like this but also check prices from places like Staples printing in case they are cheaper.

Today I priced the following from 4over:

250 - 9" X 12" Presentation Folder on 14PT Matte/Dull Finish $551.00 (my cost)

The same product & quantity (as far as I can tell by the specs from each) from Staples costs $479 and that would be the customer's cost.

Am I missing something in the 4over costs that would explain a wholesale price being ~15% over retail from Staples?

Are there any other printers that do these products that anyone would recommend?

I would really like to be able to offer these products to my customers but when the price is that different I am afraid my customer would think I am gouging them if they happened to check Staples or some other source.

Unfortunately, the major retailers are cutting prices. I'm sure they are not making much on them, thinking to get people in the store to buy other things.

Have you checked got print? How do they compare?

mfwalsh

I used to run a Staples copy center. They outsource to Vistaprint for things like folders. You may want to set up a wholesale account with them directly and see if the pricing is any better.

BrianKE

Unfortunately, the major retailers are cutting prices. I'm sure they are not making much on them, thinking to get people in the store to buy other things.

Have you checked got print? How do they compare?

Thanks, I did not know about GotPrint. The prices are pretty close to the ones I got from 4over.com.

I see they offer a Broker (wholesaler) account but I don't know that I got get 10 orders a month to stay active. Do you know what the discount is over the listed price?

Kottwitz-Graphics

Thanks, I did not know about GotPrint. The prices are pretty close to the ones I got from 4over.com.

I see they offer a Broker (wholesaler) account but I don't know that I got get 10 orders a month to start active. Do you know what the discount is over the listed price?

No, because I don't order 10 items a month. I probably only order 10 a year... I only offer it in addition to the signs that I sell...

fresh

Those folders are just really expensive because of the labor and materials involved. They start with a large, flat sheet of paper, then print it, cut it, glue and fold it. The paper is $$ and its a lot of steps.

I once ordered a 24x9" 14pt stock folded in half for someone who couldn't afford these presentation folders, and it worked out just fine.

TXFB.INS

try zooprinting.com

4over is odd with certain items, we always play around with the paper weight and with the folders make sure you only select the 4/0 options as this will still ensure there is printing on the flap inside of the folder

PrintOrlando

Never try to compete with online prices. That's a quick way to go out of business.

Look at 4-over and look at the difference in pricing between 250 folders and 500 folders. It's $45. I'm going to guess that Staples charges twice as much for 500 folders. 4-Over may simply not be competitive at that quantity. Don't try to fight it.

Re: 4-over - I sublet a lot to 4-over. My complaint with them is quality. Quality as in the job is totally screwed up. Misprinted, damaged etc. I've received retractable banners from them with cut-off graphics etc. And the problem wasn't on our end. And all though they will refund and reprint it doesn't help if you've missed a customers deadline. We cross our fingers when we order from them. I have partners in my network who will not use them for that reason.

For pocket folders we use Folders Express. The cost is the same as 4-over and quality has never been an issue. They take a little longer and are a little more complicated to work with though. But at least you can place your order with a human being.

royster13

Wholesale Canadian prices:
250 - C$551.00 converts to U$408.15
500 - C$603.45 converts to U$447.00

Maybe Staples is importing from Canada....