• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4th RIP in a year! Is Caldera the answer?

neil_se

1. Versaworks
2. Pixelblaster
3. Photoprint
4. ? Caldera

I've briefly discussed my RIP problems here before since purchasing a HP FB500 flatbed UV and HP L26500 to work alongside my existing XC540s. Naturally Versaworks wasn't going to operate the new printers, Pixelblaster that was implemented at the installation was abysmal, and Photoprint isn't proving much better, eg
- Can't print on the L26500 while spooling to the FB500 (program crashes)
- Spooling to the FB500 can take an eternity, even with direct CAT6 connection
- Random program crashing
- PP can't run our Mutoh Kona directly causing mis-cuts 25% of the time
- Dragging & dropping files changes queue settings randomly
- PP margin settings are ignored by the printer
- No usable standard XC540 profiles so they're still being run with VW

I don't really want to go on. Anyway, as you may appreciate we're still looking for a decent solution. I've personally heard many people sing praises for Caldera but my business partner wants to be 100% certain that another sizeable investment is going to be the last one.

There's 3 issues we need reassurance on:
1. People are actually using Caldera with similar equipment (FB500, L26500, XC540, Mutoh Kona, Mimaki CG75-FX), not just a website saying it 'should' work
2. There's a range of decent stock profiles, mainly to suit Avery & Arlon materials, as well as flatbed substrates (we will of course develop our own profiles but we need something to work with from day 1). The Avery & Arlon ICC searches show very little.
3. Caldera is simple enough to be self-installed, set up, and operated by fairly computer literate operators (I taught myself then my staff the other RIPs we've used. There are no Caldera suppliers within 1000km, and we're sick of being at the mercy of unreliable providers).

Your feedback will be invaluable!

FrankW

If you have tried 4 RIP's in a year and not satisfied, it should be that you will not be satisfied with any standard application.

HulkSmash

Caldera, For sure.
Switched to Caldera, I use half the ink i used with flexi, Colors are great.. support is even better.. You don't have to pay them to help you like you do in onyx. It's a great program, and run by a bunch of good people.

neil_se

If you have tried 4 RIP's in a year and not satisfied, it should be that you will not be satisfied with any standard application.

I don't think 'satisfaction' comes into it. I've never had a problem with any other software of any sort, even Versaworks did me for many years as basic as it is. Do you really think the fundamental problems above and the others I've listed in previous topics are acceptable for any full release program? Eyal was kind enough to remotely access my print server and real-time patch some of the problems, but that only fixed a few major issues like not being able to send more than 1 page to the FB500 or not being able to centre on a sheet.

I actually very much liked the user interface and simplicity of Pixelblaster and Photoprint, if they could do the job I wouldn't need to invest even more money and time into changing. These are major problems severely impacting our workflow and error rate, it's nothing to do with "satisfaction".

neil_se

Unlikely, it's a new computer with Intel i5-3570, 16GB RAM, SSD HDD, Win 7 Pro, etc.

Does anyone have answers to the 3 questions above?