• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x4 posts

bayviewsignworks

2 feet deep the norm? Looking at cedar and or PT but PT looks cheap. Cedar isn't cheap is there a happy medium? I'd be using angle iron to support a 1/4 inch alumalite sign between two 4x4s - have any other more attractive idea? I hate that I have to see the angle irons.

TheSnowman

We go to the local fence supplier and get it from them. Just cover the posts w/ sleeves, and he gets us everything we need to mount the sign inside it. It sure isn't cheap, but all the customers reaction is "That looks better than we expected it to!" so I guess it's worth it.

wildside

treated posts with vinyl sleeves, and you have to be below the frost line, otherwise it is a leaner next year, around here the frost line is only 21", but we put our posts at 42" usually, makes you sleep better too :biggrin:

Billct2

Lots of optioms for better looking posts, but not for how deep they need to be in northern New England. I would think 4' would be required in your area.

petrosgraphics

you did not say how big the sign is... 1/4" material is not very strong, 1/2" at the minimum
would be better...
we use pt posts 3' in the ground with a 5x5 vinyl sleeve and cap over the post.

have the 4x4s tight to the inside measurement with the sleeves hard against the 4x4s.
use flat head screws (2) to secure the sleeves to the posts.... you can order from NEPCO PRODUCTS CO., a sign supplier in R.I., to send you (post clips), made of alum.for either 1/2" or 3/4" material.. they cost around $7.00 each, well worth it..

this set-up will not only look good, it will be an easy install......