Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4'x8' coroplast

Discussion in 'Materials' started by dynamicdezigns, Jul 11, 2013.

1. dynamicdezigns

dynamicdezigns New Member

Nov 6, 2012
    i was wondering if anyone has tried to roll this material up for transportation purposes only? my truck is in the shop, and i have to go pick up a 4'x8' piece of coroplast, has anyone tried to roll this up loosely to fit in the backseat of a car? obviously i dont want it to break or be ruined, but i just have my car to pick the material up. the coroplast will not have anything printed on it. and it will only be rolled up for about 45-50 miles before its back to my shop.

Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    it can be rolled VERY LOOSE but can not be rolled small enough to fit into your car, when you try to it will "break / crease" in the middle and you will have a big V

3. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    Score one side and fold it. This is assuming that you will only be working with one side of the sheet for your project and mounting it. This will not work for applications where it will go on a stake or in a Real Estate Frame.

Edit: wanted to ask, why not have it just shipped to you?? Seems, like it would be cheaper to have your supplier UPS it to you then to drive 50 miles for a $20 sheet of material when the gas is going to probably cost you as much as the material.

4. Ragin Cajun

Ragin Cajun Member

May 13, 2012
    rent a uhaul trailer for $29 a day...bring back a few sheets for your stock

5. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Not gonna happen.

6. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    This +1

7. neato

neato Very Active Member

May 16, 2003
    Henderson, IL
    I see you're in Maquoketa. Wensco will probably deliver to you for $3 if you order at least $100. Are you sure you don't need anything else :)

8. DizzyMarkus

DizzyMarkus Active Member

Jan 23, 2012
    Score one and fold it hahahaha

Wait till you get your truck back.

Markus

9. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    Order a case of 18"x24" sheets then glue them together with CoroGlue® to any size you like.

10. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I really like Addy and Signmaniac's ideas but this is what I would do.

11. JR's

JR's Very Active Member

Sep 6, 2007
    swansea Ma 02777
    CoroGlue, !!! where is this CoroGlue ? I have to get some of that stuff. :ROFLMAO:

12. SignManiac

SignManiac Major Contributor

Mar 25, 2006
    Mars Florida
    John I attempted that once before and had problems. The sheet of material generated enough lift that is caused my tires to lose traction and would make the car veer off the road. I don't recommend this method as it can be dangerous.

13. John Butto

John Butto Very Active Member

Jan 9, 2007
    I do know for sure it works with a mattress. Thanks for the heads up on coro.

14. supersignmart

supersignmart Member

Jul 11, 2005
    Ruston, LA
    I've done it

We used to have a customer that would come in a car about the same size as a Ford Taurus. We would move both seats as far up
    as they would go, and bow the 4x8 just enough to slide in her back seat. Never once did it break.
    Of course we would laugh about it every time.

15. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I wish I had a dollar for every customer that showed up in a car and says "I didn't know a 4'x8' sheet was that big" Yeah, they are 8' long.....

16. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    The physics of this situation clearly says that this is nonsense. Force is force no matter what direction it's applied. If this lift conjecture were true then it is necessarily the case that a sheet of coroplast is sufficiently strong as to be able to lift an automobile without first collapsing. Moreover if you were merely holding it with your hand then your hand would also have to be sufficiently strong as to be able to lift your auto. Highly doubtful.

I have a good friend that manufactured, among other things, wings that were mounted on top of super modified round track racers. These were acute airfoils mounted upside down on the top of the car. He touted these wings as creating something on the order of 3000-4000 pounds of down thrust via negative lift. If this were true then it ought to be the case that if the wing were to be mounted upside down, I.E. airfoil up, the car, weighing far less that 3000 pounds and the lift being far more the the weight of the thing, should be able to take off and fly.

Physics is physics and is immutable.

17. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

now we see where the coro-plane got it start....

18. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska