• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x8 lexan face replacement

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
IMG_20240430_193416.jpg

8' from surface to bottom of sign. 8 x 4'. Customer needs replacement faces. Gonna rent some scaffolds for this one. Do you guys think youd be able to handle that solo?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I do 4x8 solo all the time.. but not vertical and not on a scaffold. Rent a bucket and charge the customer. By the time you f around hauling and setting up the scaffold, and try to lift that thing in the air by yourself, you coulda be out of there and on to the next job. Time is $$

Ryze Signs

4x8 solo is easy. Sometimes you can just remove one side retainer and side the old face out and slide the new one in. If it won't slide take the top retainer off. Never remove the bottom retainer. A tow behind articulating lift can usually be rented for around $300. We used to rent them all the time from home Depot before we bought a boom truck. Pass the rental cost plus markup to the customer.

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
I do 4x8 solo all the time.. but not vertical and not on a scaffold. Rent a bucket and charge the customer. By the time you f around hauling and setting up the scaffold, and try to lift that thing in the air by yourself, you coulda be out of there and on to the next job. Time is $$
Thanks Texas_Signmaker. I see you around on these forums giving helpful advice all the time. Saw your website a while back and I'm trying to operate a similar way as a one man show utilizing subcontractors when needed

soloinstaller

Premium Subscriber
4x8 solo is easy. Sometimes you can just remove one side retainer and side the old face out and slide the new one in. If it won't slide take the top retainer off. Never remove the bottom retainer. A tow behind articulating lift can usually be rented for around $300. We used to rent them all the time from home Depot before we bought a boom truck. Pass the rental cost plus markup to the customer.
Thanks Ryze solid advice. I will rent an articulating boom for this one

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Thanks Texas_Signmaker. I see you around on these forums giving helpful advice all the time. Saw your website a while back and I'm trying to operate a similar way as a one man show utilizing subcontractors when needed
I used to do stuff like 4x8 off a ladder. Looking back it's way too much risk and takes many times longer and for what? Saving customer $300? I guess starting out we all have to do what we gotta do, but that 4x8 stuff off scaffold and ladders came to an end quickly.

JBurton

Signtologist
Watch out for those power lines, better figure in time to rearrange the picnic tables to avoid that tree too.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Scaffolding, I would not do. Call a local electrician and ask how much to rent his bucket truck for 2 hours. Then, you don't hafta move anything or tables around.

However, are you insured to do this ?? When you apply for the permits, someone hasta be covering about 2 to 3 million in liability.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
4x8 little off the ground?

Call a friend and buy him lunch and a beer and throw him $75 + for helping for the time.

Charge the customer accordingly.

Ryze Signs

If I were to be a one man show, it would be me and a boom truck. You can command a much higher hourly rate with a truck. When we rented lifts the rental was figured into the price. Now we still charge for the equipment but own it so we make more money.