• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4x8 Wall Sign

BMurphy688

Hi All,

Looking at a 4x8 wall sign on a brick wall... I was thinking of using aluminum with vinyl lettering... I see there are choices and not sure what the difference is between them.. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks..

Sheets
Anodized
Mill Finish
Painted

TXGraphix24

I did a 12x6 sign with .60 thickness i believe. So far, so good with everything. I believe they have a .40 something as well. I would stay away from that. When you drill it to a surface it bends, and makes it look very bad.

visual800

040 will do fine as long as the brick wall is relatively flat, it would surely be more cost effective than using .063 or .080. BUT if there are deep or protruding mortar joints I would go with .063 it will be just fine AND make sure your supplier sells it already white, you damn sure wanna aviod raw aluminum if you can

GP

I would use some sort of 3 mil polymetal.

One of my first signs was a 4x8 out of 040 and I warped it to the point of creasing while walking to the ladder in a easy breeze.

Good luck,

GP

BMurphy688

Hi all,

I've had two back surgeries since this post, and finally getting back to my feet. Luckily customer is in good shape that they were able to wait on me. Lucky me.

Using the aluminite, what would you cap the ends with? What to mount with?

If using a thicker aluminum, would you mount to a frame prior to brick wall?

Thanks,

Brendan

signmeup

I wouldnt cap the alumalite. I'd mount it with 6 stainless lags and lead anchors. Use washers and make the holes bigger than the bolts to allow for a little movement.

AUTO-FX

I like to anchor pressure treated 1x ledgers with tapcons, and then screw the sign to those strips. Everything can easily be predrilled on the ground. Like signmeup said, you can leave the capping off unless it will be right at eye level and your concerned about a raw edge. The plastic edge capping is cheesy and wont last nearly as long as the rest of the sign. if it's low budget just leave it off. If they want to spend the money, extruded aluminum channel makes a nice edgeing if painted or wrapped in vinyl.

skyhigh

I'd use .080 mill finish. I'd form a pan face, then paint to customers specifications. For installation, I'd attach aluminum angles to the wall & mount to those, so no fastners are visible on the face.

phototec

I'd use .080 mill finish. I'd form a pan face, then paint to customers specifications. For installation, I'd attach aluminum angles to the wall & mount to those, so no fastners are visible on the face.

Nice idea, I love the idea of no fasteners visible on the face. I have not used mill finish, what process do you use to paint? I recon you have to primer the mill finish first, what's the best primer for that?

Thanks

:goodpost:

signmeup

You can pan form dibond/alupanel and avoid the painting. The sign will be slightly smaller than 4 x 8 though.

You prime aluminum with an acid etch primer made for the purpose. Wear a respirator! (acid)

phototec

http://adkinssigns.com/custom.aspx

Here are some wall mounted .040 aluminum signs I made. I bend a 2" lip all the way around the glue foam to the back to make it rigid. Then install them on alumunum track
so there are no screws in the face of the sign.

Mosh, those look pretty nice, on the towing service sign, is the red background painted with yellow cut vinyl, or is that a digital print laminated and applied to the .040 aluminum?

Also, it looks like that may be two 4x8's stacked?

BMurphy688

As always, everyone has been extremely helpful... We'll be installing on Tuesday and will place some pics up afterward. Thanks again to all that have taken the time to post their thoughts. Much appreciated...