• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

50/50 window perf with laminate issues

AGinVT

Hi everyone, back again for more great advice. We use a combination of Clear Focus Classic View 50/50 film with Clear Focus Curvalam optically clear laminate. We use the overlam to protect the printed area and to stop water droplets from getting trapped in the holes and obstructing the view.

Problem is, after applied, especially on more curved windows, you see every squeegee stroke. It can look pretty rough and more so when the printed color is darker.

Wondering if there is either a technique or a better perf / lam combo to combat this issue? We inform the client up front, about this potential issue, but that doesn't make it look any better.

Does anybody know what I am talking about and have any suggestions?

(We do not use heat for lamination, only pressure)

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
I know exactly what you're talking about and have to figure out a fix myself. So I'm watching this thread now so I can learn too.

unclebun

We use Avery DOL1360 optically clear laminate (because we stock it for the Avery wrap vinyl we use). We don't see the squeegee strokes the way we did when we used to use the Clear Focus laminate.

I believe the visibility of the squeegee strokes also has to do with how hard you squeegee. If you squeegee hard, and especially if you aren't weighting the center of the squeegee but favoring one edge, you actually make the laminate stick in the holes to the window.

The good thing is that over time it seems to even out.

Dan360

Yea it'll go away over time. We had delamination issues on more curved window installs with clear focus, so watch out for that.

Using a roller to install is the best way to minimize the effect, works great on flat windows at least.

AGinVT

Yea it'll go away over time. We had delamination issues on more curved window installs with clear focus, so watch out for that.

Using a roller to install is the best way to minimize the effect, works great on flat windows at least.

I like the roller idea. We just did a big cargo van color change to battleship gray (including the side and back windows) and it looks great aside from the streaks in the perf. We actually used a sample roll of the Avery optically clear on this one, so that doesn't solve it.

We do let clients know that the sun will help even out imperfections over time. I have read that it's true and I hop it is. Luckily, we rarely get complaints.