• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

52" Graphtec Plotter FC7000-100 or Q-100

Jim Doggett

... I will keep looking. Anyone have a 52 or 48 or 42 they want to sell cheap!?

You might want to check with dealers. The 7000 is a prior-generation model that many might want to liquidate ... and economic times being what they are, cash is king :^)

Moreover, I've heard some grumblings that the 8000, while inclusive of some great enhancements, might not be as stout as the 7000 when it comes to cutting the tough stuff: diamond grade and rubber sandblast-resist. If your needs are for pure cutting, not contour-cutting, the 7000 might be the high water mark.

Good hunting,

Jim

Jim Doggett

The used market is wide open, albeit, OPOS X-generation Summa cutters and Graphtec ARMS-equipped FC and Q Series cutters are the only solutions I'd suggest. Contour-cutting is very unforgiving; even tiny inaccuracies can trash high-value output.

In new, current Q Series and Graphtec 7000 (130 and wider) or SummaCut-R D120 (48" but cuts to the edge of thhe media) is the way to go. In fact, I think Summa deserves the nod on the contour-cutting side (sublime accuracy and automation); Graphtec/Q is superior from a cutting standpoint (cut quality and throughput).

Note that older Summa OPOS and OPOS 2.0 systems use red light scanners, which are not as reliable at reading marks through lamination. If you find a killer deal on the prior OPOS technologies, a good workaround is to put small pieces premask over the OPOS reg-marks prior to laminating. Then cut away the lamination/premask to reveal the marks. It's a small added step if your volume of contour-cutting is modest. If you'll do a lot of contour-cutting, I'd stick with OPOS X / ARMS exclusively.

Whew! Sorry for the verbose post.

Best Regards,

Jim

midnightmadman

Thanks Jim. Heather had a nice deal for me a couple months back for a 42" Q-100 but I just don't have the $.
But I am going to get myself in a jam soon. I actually tried using the manule reg reading in an old version of flexi with my old 24" panther! It doesnt work to good to say the least.
Your not with SW anymore?

Jim Doggett

Hi MM,

Heather Bennett is great. If / when, she'll no doubt give you a great deal any time.

It's true. I'm no longer with SW. I guess I picked the wrong year to make a career-change. But moving to Texas after living under Seattle rain clouds for 49 years was absolutely a plus. Hopefully I can stay in Texas. But the job search might preclude that.

I know your pain on manual X-Y Axis alignment. It's a world class pain and none too precise. The problem in contour cutting is three-fold: position, rotation and scale. Scale is due to X Axis variations between the printer and cutter and elongation caused by laminating. So manual X-Y, which doesn't compensate for scale, is going to be off even in the best of circumstances ... except on small stuff.

Best Regards,

Jim

midnightmadman

What would be the biggest difference between the 7000 and the SW q-100?
And is the FC5000 worth getting or is it like one of those LYNX models compared to a Panther(which I have)

midnightmadman

Funny I was ready to pull the trigger today on a q-1000 from heather except the deal we had a month ago was off! She now wants me to pay 125 extra in shipping. Her loss.

signman1

FC or Q series

Guys, as an FYI, I work for Graphtec and the big difference between the the cutters are:
600grams vs 400grams
The Graphtec has more speed. And yes the 8000 is a cutter.
I WILL cut the Diamond grade material (the Graphtec).
Most of the other features are an option on the Q series. The Q series is also the old 7000 series.

Just wanted to put my 2 cents in a little. I found this thread when I was searching on how to fix the issue I had on my Q-100 that it would run the laser and not the blade. After reading through this thread I started getting a little upset that I even bought this machine do to the customer service is not the best and that there was no way to fix my issue but to just tape the laser sensor. That part was ok with me since I don't use that function on my plotter anyway.

In the process of waiting for Tech Support to call me back I found this thread. Helped my issue greatly BTY. Thanks bjones.

I was done and ready to move on since my problem was fixed and was just a little frustrated. Then SW called me back this morning with Drum roll please. A Firmware Update! (The Firmware from SW is actually the FC7000 Firmware from Graphtec and does work for the Q-series) So in SW defense I have always got descent Tech Support. Maybe not right when I needed it but certainly with in a time frame that I needed.

As for the difference The tech guy said that this q-100 machine is a re-badged Grachtec FC7000.

So here is my conclusion for midnightmadman who is trying to figure out what to get. They are both equally as good and it boils down to Used or New but cheaper. Tech Support or no Tech Support.

Hope that helps you.:thumb: