• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

540SP Printing Problem - Black Only

Chad.

See the attached image. I took a proof to a customer today and they rightfully pointed out that my black looked very dull. So i come home and print a few test prints and sure enough, the lines are all over the place ... Anyone care to help diagnose the problem / solution ... It figure the machine is 1 week out of warranty

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• testprint.jpg
    testprint.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 167

javila

I think the minor nozzle problem, and the picky customer were a coincidence. Your dull blacks are probably due to improper setup, not that little deflection going on.

Chad.

I think the minor nozzle problem, and the picky customer were a coincidence. Your dull blacks are probably due to improper setup, not that little deflection going on.

Not a picky customer, the black was not rich at all, and i have all my color management setup for "Rich Black" ... this is the first time i have experienced this ... i have another image i will attach that shows the "banding" and fuzzy edge that i never used to get.

Attachments

• testprint2.jpg
    testprint2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 128

jasonx

What file format are you printing? Is the fuzzy edge a vector or a jpg image?

Banding, how is your feed setup?

Have you tried printing those two squares to see if it needs adjusting?

Mason

Do a manual cleaning, replace the wipers and run a couple of medium clean cycles, if the problem persists then the bad news is the black print head is toast, I just had the one on mine replaced last friday, I was getting the same conditions you are.

Brendan

The deflection doesnt look that bad. Mine were WAY off. Id be interested to see how you remedy this. I struggle a bit with blacks.

Chad.

What file format are you printing? Is the fuzzy edge a vector or a jpg image?

Banding, how is your feed setup?

Have you tried printing those two squares to see if it needs adjusting?

Printing using a PDF file from either Illustrator CS or CS3, i rarely print raster images unless photographs.

As far as the banding, fill me in on "feed setup" are you implying the banding could be cause from the machine not "feeding" far enough due to pulling the large roll of the material ?

And what 2 squares can i print ?

Chad.

Do a manual cleaning, replace the wipers and run a couple of medium clean cycles, if the problem persists then the bad news is the black print head is toast, I just had the one on mine replaced last friday, I was getting the same conditions you are.

I have done the manual cleaning and 2 "Powerful cleanings" with the same results. I hope its not a print head but that would not surprise me considering i am 1 week out of warranty. I swear this crap is programmed to fail on que.

woolly

several things can affect the black.
but i think that the profile is letting you down, the head could be better, but i don't think its the whole story.
try adding 30% cyan 15% mag to your 100% black and more passes, if that cures the problem, start looking at whats altered in the profiles or find a new one.
the export filter may have a profile on or a incorrect one. as the vinyl is not having enough ink layed down.

woolly

Chad.

several things can affect the black.
but i think that the profile is letting you down, the head could be better, but i don't think its the whole story.
try adding 30% cyan 15% mag to your 100% black and more passes, if that cures the problem, start looking at whats altered in the profiles or find a new one.
the export filter may have a profile on or a incorrect one. as the vinyl is not having enough ink layed down.
woolly

I have not changed anything in any profiles ... i have been printing the same way using the same materials and profiles since day one ...

I know how to setup the files and use profiles, what i don't know is why the output has all the sudden changed. CMY are great, but K leaves fuzzy edges, banding, and poor overall richness.

wes13

yeah on our Roland sp540v we sometimes have issues printing solid blacks, esp. when rockin' stuff out on high speed, usually in the profiles I make sure W-PASS is on it helps out with banding. You sure you don't have bunch clogged up nozzles on the part of the head that prints black?.

wes13

on your test print they look like there not clogged just fuzzy, I would call Roland or your distributor and raise hell. ;)

LittleSnakey

I have done the manual cleaning and 2 "Powerful cleanings" with the same results. I hope its not a print head but that would not surprise me considering i am 1 week out of warranty. I swear this crap is programmed to fail on que.

Warrantee won't help you with print heads, they are not covered.

Chad.

yeah on our Roland sp540v we sometimes have issues printing solid blacks, esp. when rockin' stuff out on high speed, usually in the profiles I make sure W-PASS is on it helps out with banding. You sure you don't have bunch clogged up nozzles on the part of the head that prints black?.

Honestly, im not sure where to look here ... where would i check the nozzles of the print heads ?

Black print heads

Not true - I had 2 black print heads replaced . 1 under warranty(1 @ two months past. @ 6 months after first). Black print heads are a known problem. Print usage will be taken into consideration IE nozzle fires (weather it it has reached it's expected life)
Warrantee won't help you with print heads, they are not covered.

Chad.

Not true - I had 2 black print heads replaced . 1 under warranty(1 @ two months past. @ 6 months after first). Black print heads are a known problem. Print usage will be taken into consideration IE nozzle fires (weather it it has reached it's expected life)

What is the expected life of a print head ... and how do i print the system report that shares the nozzle fire information ?