Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

55' banner to be put over existing banner question

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by gabagoo, Sep 7, 2010.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have a customer who wants me to make a 4 x 55 foot banner. He tells me because it is temporary that they are going to install it over the existing banner that is there now.
    I asked how I was going to put grommets in to match and he thinks I will go out there and measure them....NOT HAPPENING.

I was thinking because this is a temporary banner (6-8 weeks) would it be possible to hem it and do no grommets, and then let the installer take out the screws of the banner existing as he goes and then screw both together using a large flat washer on the outside?

will it work?

Tags:
  2. Pat Whatley

Pat Whatley Major Contributor

Sep 29, 2003
    Wetumpka, AL
    Absolutely. We've installed plenty of banners without grommets at all and I can't recall a failure.

This is assuming you've got grommets every 3 feet or so.

3. TheSnowman

TheSnowman Major Contributor

Aug 28, 2007
    Indiana
    Yea, the washers should do the trick I would think. The more area you can grab onto the better.

4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    thanks guys

5. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    If you're screwing through existing grommets in the old banner then the maximum effective diameter of a fender washer would be the diameter of the original grommet. Anything extending beyond the old grommet probably isn't going to grab anything. Worse, if the fabric of the new banner is loose behind the edge of the fender washer it's most likely to tear at that point.

6. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    that will work. Just make sure there is webbing in the banner.

7. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    i've done this before, as well.

actually a timesaver as long as your client is ok with it (which they are assuming the "temporary comment")... who wants to grommet a 55' banner if you don't have to?