• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

55' banner to be put over existing banner question

gabagoo

I have a customer who wants me to make a 4 x 55 foot banner. He tells me because it is temporary that they are going to install it over the existing banner that is there now.
I asked how I was going to put grommets in to match and he thinks I will go out there and measure them....NOT HAPPENING.

I was thinking because this is a temporary banner (6-8 weeks) would it be possible to hem it and do no grommets, and then let the installer take out the screws of the banner existing as he goes and then screw both together using a large flat washer on the outside?

will it work?

Pat Whatley

Absolutely. We've installed plenty of banners without grommets at all and I can't recall a failure.

This is assuming you've got grommets every 3 feet or so.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yea, the washers should do the trick I would think. The more area you can grab onto the better.

If you're screwing through existing grommets in the old banner then the maximum effective diameter of a fender washer would be the diameter of the original grommet. Anything extending beyond the old grommet probably isn't going to grab anything. Worse, if the fabric of the new banner is loose behind the edge of the fender washer it's most likely to tear at that point.

MikePro

i've done this before, as well.

actually a timesaver as long as your client is ok with it (which they are assuming the "temporary comment")... who wants to grommet a 55' banner if you don't have to?