• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6 - 7 Ft. Dimensional Letters

rlmercer

Hey guys and gals,

Hope you're all doing well. I have a customer who's looking for 6-7 ft. dimensional letters for an interior wall. What's the best material and where could I order them from? I don't see anything that size in Gemini and the others I've researched.

Thanks for any help!
Ryan

TimToad

You'd have to find somebody with at least a 5'x10' CNC table and then the font would have to be condensed if you expect them to be in one piece. There is a variety of materials available in 5'x10' size, but how deep are they expecting them to be?

If its a super graphic look they are after, you could probably get away with 1.2" PVC but they'd be pretty flimsy to handle until you got them mounted on the wall.

SqueeGee

I just had Harbor cut some letters for a project that were approx 6'x12' out of .080 alum. They also keep 6x12 sheets in .125 alum.

ams

Ask Gemini, they could probably do it. Do you order from Harbor Sales? They can do it in certain types of materials.

rossmosh

Gemini can do the job, but you'd likely be better off working locally. Shipping could make this job cost prohibitive. To ship letters like this safely would call for custom crating and shipping via tractor trailer.

1. Aluminum/ACM. This would be my last choice for an interior application because you might as well paint the letters on the wall because 1/4" thick letters when they are 6' tall offer no real perception of depth. 1"+ PVC might work, but my guess is it will still be too thin to make it worth the additional expense.

2. Foam. This will allow you to get depth where the letters will actually appear dimensional. There are all sorts of foams out there and many come pretty damn thick and if you buy low density stuff, it can be cost effective. You will need to think about how you're finishing everything. Low density foams need to be hard coated so they don't get damaged.

3. "Channel letters". This is by far the most versatile method as you can make them as deep or shallow as you want. Should be pretty cost effective. When you cut out of sheet goods, you're going to have a lot of waste. With "channel letters" you'll waste a lot less material.

NateF

If the end result doesn't have to be perfect, you can even seam 3/4" plywood fairly easily. This 10' tall cutout was made from 2 sheets of 3/4 plywood. CNC cut, then seams were fastened with a Kreg jig, wood screws, and glue. The seams were slightly visible so it's not the best option for every application, but it worked well here.

Attachments

• goliath.jpg
    goliath.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 89

Marlene

for that size you could do a thin profile channel letter, all aluminum, non-illuminated, as it would be more stable to work with.

visual800

your best bet would be 1/2" pvc with a few studs and silicone one it. Plywood is too dam heavy. Find you a local router dude and ask him to route these out. it should nt be that all that expensive