• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6' x 12' Graphic On Curved Truck Side Questions...

player

I will be printing and installing a graphic 6' x 12' on the side of a number of industrial trucks. The area is curved out but not nearly as severe as a tanker truck. The middle may be out 1' over the top and bottom of this side panel. There are also 3 seams that run vertically.

The prints are primarily large text with a full color logo/graphic. I will be using a 54" Roland solvent printer and a laminator. I will print 3 panels that will hang and install much like the way wall paper is hung.

I am going to use a high end wrap vinyl and laminate. Will I have problems with the lettering stretching and not lining up at the seams?

Any advice on how to prevent the lettering from distorting? The best way to do this? I would not want to have to install a blank white panel and then cut vinyl for the lettering...

I was planning to use Orajet wrap vinyl and lam. I forget the codes... 39 something and 290 lam I think. Are there better or more cost effective materials? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks

4R Graphics

when it comes to wrap materials its really about what you prefer there all very similar.

As for the streching it can happen just keep an eye on things as you go this is one of those experience things the more you have the easier it is.

if your doing one solid print an option (will need help if your kind of new) is to connect all the panels together at the shop so when you get to the jobsite you have one big graphic (that is already stuck together with perfect alignment and overlap) and then just line it up nad stick it down as one big graphic.

It can be a challenge at first but you wont get stuff misaligned.

Its really about experience and finding what works for you.

player

What overlap amount would you recommend?

What brand of material?

What about printing it 54" x 12' and adding a 16" x 12' panel, having the seam run horizontally with no graphics or lettering spliced?

bwrapped

if its not premasked, pre seaming the pieces would be the best way. but make sure you know what your getting into if you pre-seam it. the less heat you use the less the area will stretch. Avoid heating alot of areas where text is!

4R Graphics

As for overlap 1/2" is plenty we do a 1/4 to 1/2 depending on the job.

1 horizontal seam by printing 54 then 16 would be fine if you did that you could install bottom then top so your seem is pointing down (so water doesnt get caught in it)

I still think from what you described I would lay the job on the table use a 1/2" seam and stick it together at the shop then go out with someone who can help and install it as one big graphic I would tape it inplace (if magnets wont stick to surface) and roll down about the first 18" or so and then squegee that down then pull the backing paper and roll it under its self and just work the graphic down pulling the backing paper just enough to expose about 1 foot or so at a time (what I mean by rolling the backing paper under its self is pull it down and let it roll up under the graphics that are hanging down so that the backing paper your peeling off is going between the surface and the graphics that are hanging down this helps keep the section of graphics that you are sticking down to sit a little above the surface and not stick to it before you want it to) but thats just me seems easier to me than trying to line up stuff especially if your working on something with a curve or corigations.

Look at some videos on vehicle wrap installs you will see what I mean about letting the backing paper hang between the graphics and the surface.

Good luck and I replied to your PM check it out.