Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"6 Year Warranty on Wrap"

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by fresh, Nov 15, 2019.

1. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    One of my good clients was asking about wrapping his fleet moving forward. Right now we do pretty much a full wrap, but with one color cut vinyl.

Anyway, he said he was researching wraps and saw someone had a 6 year warranty on wraps. AFAIK, there is no Ink/vinyl/lam combo that is warrantied by the manufacturers for that long. Am I mistaken?

Tags:
  2. FatCat

FatCat Very Active Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    A "warranty" is only as good as the person or shop giving it. 3M, Avery, Oracal etc. I don't believe have an actual "warranty" more like "expected lifespan". If the wrap you install only last 3 years, those companies will pretty much tell you tough cookies, and blame whatever the issue(s) is that caused the failure on the printer or the installer regardless.

So...that said, an individual shop can offer a warranty. HOWEVER, the ones I see offering warranties that long are usually on the high side of pricing to cover their butts in case something does go wrong that would fall under a "warranty" issue. (Example; if a typical Chevy express van wrap costs $3000 in your area, and most warranties for said wrap might be 1-2 years, a shop offering a 5-6 year warranty might charge $4000-5000 for same wrap knowing a few will bite for the peace of mind knowing their wrap will last that long...) It's all a marketing ploy from what I have seen.

• Like Like x 2
  3. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA

3M does have their MCS warranty programs but it's not something you can just make a claim and have them cover your job. Usually you need to certify you do fabrication and install in an approved method by 3M. Normally requires yearly updates. Then you can make a claim against manufacturing defects or material issues that may have caused a failure or something like that.

4. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    I thought that even with an MCS warranted process, the claim is limited to the materials. I can't imagine 3m paying for the labor to re-wrap.

• Agree Agree x 1