• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

60" Mutoh Falcon EcoSolvent outdoor or 54" 1304?

catldavis

I'm new at the solvent printer thing so I want to buy an inexpensive one to get started. I have the option to buy a 60" Mutoh Falcon that has fairly new heads, bulk ink system installed. This printer is a back-up for a sign company and is used lightly almost every day. The other is a 54" 1304 that is not currently working. It was having problems with loosing ink so the owner purchased a new head. The printer is currently not getting ink to the head. The new head is basically brand new. Assuming the same price for both, which one should I choose? I can find some information on the 1304 but really nothing on the Falcon (probably due to its age). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

FatCat

I'm new at the solvent printer thing so I want to buy an inexpensive one to get started. I have the option to buy a 60" Mutoh Falcon that has fairly new heads, bulk ink system installed. This printer is a back-up for a sign company and is used lightly almost every day. The other is a 54" 1304 that is not currently working. It was having problems with loosing ink so the owner purchased a new head. The printer is currently not getting ink to the head. The new head is basically brand new. Assuming the same price for both, which one should I choose? I can find some information on the 1304 but really nothing on the Falcon (probably due to its age). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Normally I would say go for the 54" 1304 - benefits are that you have a faster printer, with 1 DX5 head instead of 2 DX4 heads to worry about. However, if you are not mechanically inclined, there could be a lot of work ahead of you to get it running - and without experience it may be very difficult and a waste of money.

The safe bet is the Falcon, the 60" is being used everyday and for solvent printers that is the key to keeping them healthy and printing well.

catldavis

Thanks for responding FatCat (on Thanksgiving nonetheless!). I have a service manual for the 1304 and I would consider myself mechanically inclined. I work on my Epsons and DTG printer all of the time. I'm by no means an expert, but with directions and if I'm not in a rush, I do okay. Having said that, my concern is obviously the unknown with the 1304. He did tell me he has kept it plugged in. It certainly would be nice to have a printer that I can "plug and print". However, if I'm sacrificing a good amount of quality, that really makes a difference too.

utmtech

If you get the 1304, go ahead and get some new dampers and lines from ebay. Also buy some mutoh solvent cleaner and a solvent resistant syringe.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I know I sound like a broken record but stay away from anything that has Falcon in the name. The Falcon Outdoor printers use 2 DX2 heads that were never meant for solvent in the first place and the heads are no longer manufactured. I can get you the DX2 heads for $737 a piece if they are still in stock at Mutoh but once they are gone, you have an anchor. Even if it is a Falcon Outdoor 2 that uses the DX4 heads I have heard nothing but trouble getting them to keep on printing.

The ValueJet 1304 is far superior and, as a technician, one of my favorite machines to work on. The problem is I almost never get to work on them because they are reliable and easy to fix yourself with the right resources. The ValueJet is at least 10X faster than the the Falcons and all of the parts are readily available and will be so for quite some time seeing as they share a lot of parts with the newest version of the machine(1324).