• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

60" Wide Format Printer Advice

tcorn1965

I am the I.T. person for our company (VictoryStore.com) and have been given the task of researching and buying a 60" Wide format Dye based printer that will be used for printing films for silkscreen printing purposes only. In the research that I have done the HP DesignJet 5500uv (60 inch) seems to fit the bill. For fear of recommending the wrong printer I ask for your help. Currently we use two Epson Stylus Pro 9600 for this but it makes it difficult and time consuming when printing films for the 4'x8' screens. This printer will be used about 18 hrs. daily. The criteria that was asked of me was to find a printer that was fast and with economical consumables (Ink, etc.). Now I see that this will print 100 sq. feet an hour (Seems fast to me?) but the only Ink costs I could find was printing on paper with a 5% coverage. Am I on the right track or is there a better printer that I should be looking at for our purposes? I want to apologize in advance if my terminology is incorrect and don't want to offend. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The 5500UV is a great work horse machine and there is alot of service techs available to fix it if something goes wrong. Your ink costs will be about $0.35-$0.55 a sq.ft to be safe. I would check out the new HP Latex printer as well. L25500 is the model

tcorn1965

Thanks BigfishDM. I will look into the other model you suggested. Additionally, I appreciate the cost input, I sure was at wits end trying to figure it out!

Billct2

I don't know about using for that application, but it's a real workhorse of a printer.
I wouldn't say it was fast, but you cold buy two good used ones for less than half the cost of one new machine. There are lots of supplies for it. I use Lexjet inks.

tcorn1965

Thanks Billct2. When you say using for that application, does that mean it wont be a good choice for printing on the film that is needed to make the screens? Thanks in advance!

Bly

These are good workhorses. Have a look at whether the dye inks will work on the media you want to use. The dye inks are cheaper and give better print quality if you don't need longevity.

tcorn1965

Thanks Bly! We will be using Dye ink, that was the one of the criteria they wanted me to make sure the printer can use in researching it. Basically they print the film then take it and burn on the screen with heat lamps and then the screen is used in the screen printing presses, then the film is discarded. All I know for sure is that it needs to print a pretty solid opaque or there is empty spaces in the image that was transferred to the screen. Again I am sorry if I am using the wrong terminology

animenick65

The 5500 is very easy to use and fairly easy in terms of maintenance. Can print posters and POP items all day long on it. I wouldn't call it slow by any means.

Bill Modzel

I own a screen shop and have owned an HP5000 which is almost identical to the unit that you are asking about. I had tested a number of clear substrates on this unit attempting to print an opaque enough film to burn a screen from and NEVER got even close to the density needed.

HP's are a thermal printed printer and just don't put out the color density needed for films. Stick to your Epson's for this application. Maybe the Roland's will work for you also. Before you buy, ask for a sample to check your application. Posters and film positives are totally different prints.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I own a screen shop and have owned an HP5000 which is almost identical to the unit that you are asking about. I had tested a number of clear substrates on this unit attempting to print an opaque enough film to burn a screen from and NEVER got even close to the density needed....

Don't try to do positives on clear, it's doomed to failure. You can't lay down enough ink.

Instead use vellum. Vellum prints functionally opaque and is, at the same time, functionally transparent to light at those frequencies needed to burn screens.

That would seem to be because vellum is porous as compared to any clear media and can suck up a bit more ink as well as being close to the edge of not being transparent to the proper light. It doesn't take all that much to make it opaque. Vellum in rolls can be had from...

www.dataprint.com/Store/default.aspx

...and other drafting supply houses.

Malkin

We do the same as Bob, making our positives on vellum with our eco-sol VP540. The local screenprinter we use says it works great.

mac_man_luke

why not just do it right and get an imagesetter, should be going real cheap these days.

Have excellent density and very high res

tcorn1965

why not just do it right and get an imagesetter, should be going real cheap these days.

Have excellent density and very high res

I am definitely open to all options, although I cant seem to find one thats 60" wide.
Any Advice...Thanks in advance