• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

631 wet install??

splizaat

Before anyone points it out -- YES Oracal 631 is temporary vinyl but we are doing a bunch of windows that are 48"x75" with 100% coverage using red oracal 631 and are trying to do it as fast as possible.

With that said, Can oracal 631 be installed WET using action tac?? A quick squirt squirt, squeegee and move on??

Thanks

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Wet no mask. Takes 2 people.

Spray window and then the back of the vinyl as you peel it. Spraying the back of the vinyl does 2 things: 1 keeps static from attracting lint, and 2 if the vinyl touches its self you won't have to throw it away. Our process is; while the helper is spraying the window, I,ll stand on my install box and get the liner started. Helper then pulls the liner off while spraying the vinyl.

You can get app fluid on the wax side of the paper liner, but be carefull not to get the paper side wet for an extended time. If you do get it wet and it leaves paper behind, spray the paper/vinyl and scrape with a squeegee. If your lucky it will all come off. We do 2mil cast etchlook like this all the time.

Make sure the window mullions and rubber are really clean. If not you can get junk under the vinyl and/or the app fluid can wick dirt up under the vinyl.

splizaat

I know how to install vinyl wet, I'm just curious if we can do 631 wet....i KNOW you have big troubles installing 3164 printed wet but houseofgrafix says 631 can be done wet, so wet it is :) Thanks guys :)

G-Artist

Believe it or not, there are some brands of vinyl that will lose their warranty unless applied wet to glass. Read that in an old issue of Sign Graphics. Don't recall the names.

You said full window coverage. Commercial app.? If so, and on the first floor, you might wish to check local codes. Many prohibit more than 50% of a window from being covered with anything be it paper ads, vinyl lettering, etc. If there are such regs. in your area you'll be a hero to the store owner saving him the cost of fines plus a re-do, etc.

splizaat

Thanks G-Artist for the info -- never thought of checking into that. LUCKILY for this particular application it's a temporary application while construction is being done (store not opened yet) and the storefront has no signage whatsoever yet so they want to cover the windows in red and do white lettering...The white lettering is 651 applied to the outside of the window, the red 631 full coverage will be installed on the inside fo the window for easy removal.

SurfaceSigns

Just finished a few solid color, full window wraps this evening using 631, and applied wet. Install went just fine, and the 631 is a breeze to work with.

The client wanted the matte finish to match the full color stuff we did on his other windows last summer, and 631 was the only matte product I could find locally, so I figured I'd give it a go.

And Yes, I know this isn't what the product was made for. But, it will make for a good experiment.

G-Artist

@splizaat (and everyone)

Most political suibdivisions are fairly good about posting their sign codes on-line.

It would behoove you to download what you can find for each area you work in and have them as a reference.

Even if what the customer wants is a violation, we will supply same but a the same time we can inform them of the issue. The it is their choice.

Before folks jump on me I am basically referring to snipe signs, window coverage, oversize banners
and the like. I am not referring to installs of electric or non-electric in-ground signs and the like.

splizaat

Forgot to follow up...installed 631 wet and it worked wonderfully! No masking just applied right off the paper. Used red 631 inside the windows (overlapped) and white 651 outside. Smooth install took about 2 hours total from time of arrival to leaving.

The red will be removed after construction and the white will remain on the windows. Customer supplied the artwork.

photogs.jpg