• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

6'x6' MDO

juan45215

We are replacing a 6'x6' MDO sign. We haven't taken it down yet, but I can tell that it is a 4'x4' attached to a 4'x2'. I have called a few lumberyards, but no one has 6'x6' in one piece.

Does anybody have an idea to fuse to pieces of MDO together?

rjssigns

For a permanent solution that is smooth on both sides I slot then spline the seam. Hardwood spline plus polyurethane glue. No compensating for the "scab" on the back when you go to mount.

I use this slotting cutter: CMT 822.364.11B

MikePro

you're best bet is the seamed panel... can make it out of 1-4x8sheet, even.
I've also been known to do oversized MDO, by using twice as many sheets of 1/2 thickness of the desired product, and stagger the seams in the two layers before screwing/bonding together.

most of the time, however, I just wrap the individual panels and leave it up to the install guys to worry about joining them during install. MUCH easier to get from shop to site.

CanuckSigns

either buscuits or if you have access to a table saw and dado blade, lap joints would be ideal, you could assemble and glue on site.

SignManiac

For a permanent solution that is smooth on both sides I slot then spline the seam. Hardwood spline plus polyurethane glue. No compensating for the "scab" on the back when you go to mount.

I use this slotting cutter: CMT 822.364.11B

+1 This is how I do it.

Hero Signs

If they let me make it, they will come
Wow that sucks. I had a pita time finding a 5x10 in Houston 2 months ago. I would just make joint withthe router and then fill in the seam and add a glossy coat.