• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

7 color vs, double cmyk ?

ATD Signs

Hi Everyone
Looking for your thoughts and opinions on this. We had a SP540i with cmyk, we could print reasonably good vibrant
reds, yellows and oranges. Last week we had a new VS540i installed at our shop and decided to go with the recommended
7 ink configuration. After printing off our new VS540i color chart ad comparing it to our old SP40i color chart, the new VS540i
colors are washed out and not as vibrant as my old SP540i. I may have made the wrong decision in the ink configuration. I
think I should have gone with double cmyk.
Thanks

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
I'm not sure why your colors would be less vibrant from this ink config outside of a profile issue. We run LC/LM/LK on our 540 and 640 and they both print prey strong vibrant colors. I can't speak to vs double CMYK tho.

MMLLC

From my understanding, you should get a wider gamut with the 7 color vs double cmyk. With double cmyk, it should allow you to print faster (likely by less passes since you have twice as many heads laying it down) with slightly less color gamut.

As noted above, very well could be a profile. Try writing a new one and get it dialed in.

dypinc

From my understanding, you should get a wider gamut with the 7 color vs double cmyk.

Why would you think that? LC/LM/LK does nothing to increase gamut. With the addition of LC/LM/LK you might actually get less gamut depending how much you have to limit total ink lay down.