• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

7 year old vinyl still good?

binki

I was given a 50 yard roll of oracal 651, still in the box and wrapped in plastic. Will this still be any good? Estimated age is 7 years.

Mike F

Probably not. From past discussions I've read on here, I think most vinyl only has a shelf life of 1 - 2 years.

No I don't think it will be too good, and further more I have vinyl that has been sitting for about a year - two years and it is a HUGE pain to cut/weed

J

john1

I have used vinyl that is a few years old with no problems. 7 years though, i am not sure but never hurts to try it out if you have it. Worse case is just buy a fresh roll since it's not that expensive at all to risk it on a customer.

Craig Sjoquist

I have several rolls of old vinyl few years anyway no problems, 7 years wow not that may have some, would think how it is stored would matter like damp ares would cause problems for sure.

Techman

I have several colors of vinyl that is at least 5 years old and it works perfectly. It is stored in a cool dark dry place. It sticks just fine. Some of it was obtained before the storm.

At first I worried about shelf life but not any more after seeing first hand how good it still is.. This at least 5 yr. old vinyl is pliable cuts just as good as before and the adhesive holds fast just as before. I used it on several locations and it is looking just as good as ever.

Think about it. PVC Vinyl will still be in a land fill after 1,000 years. 5 years means nothing if it is stored in the dark inside the box.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i have some vinyl that is 10 years old,.

i wouldn't use it for anything permanent, but i've used it for short term signage with no problems.

crazy roll of punched 15" x 50 yard light blueberry color.

when i'm cleaning out old stuff i never have the heart to can it....