Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8518 Change??

Discussion in 'Vehicle Wraps' started by InkjetAuction, May 18, 2018.

1. Anyone experience a change in the 8518?

I just used a roll that had a paper release liner and it wasn't as high gloss as usual.

It most definitely was a 2mil gloss cast...and the box and core was labeled correctly. I didn't have time to return it to get a new roll of the "old" stuff. Luckily this roll covered a complete project itself (box truck).

Just wondering if anyone else has seen this, or did I get a different product in the correct box. I have ordered another roll since, and it was the film that we are used to (high gloss with synthetic liner)

Thoughts?

~E

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    8519 is a luster with a paper liner. We prefer it. Maybe got the wrong label on the box somehow.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wildsidewildside You are probably right on that. Thanks for the reply.

I actually liked it as well.

~E

4. Brandon708

Brandon708 Very Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Orland Park, IL
    No experience with the 8518 change but the rolls I have now in 85xx have paper liners which I prefer because its much easier to load. I also learned that the 8520 Matte laminate is not matte at all. It seems more like a luster. I had to order another roll of 8915 for the 3M Ultra Matte which I love the finish. 8915 also has a paper liner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I've used 3M 8519 luster for years and just switched over to Arlon 3220 overlaminate, comes in gloss, lustre, matt and has 7 year life. So far it seems to be good and lower cost than 3M.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Active Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    8518 (gloss) comes with a plastic liner. 8519 (luster) and 8520 (matte) come with paper liner.

• Like Like x 1