• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

9000s Banding After 10 Ft

hottscennessey

Guys and Gals,

I'm printing a banner that consists of mostly magenta, after about 9 feet the magenta started to band. I double checked the heater settings and they were all correct according to the manual. Afterwards I did an IQ Test Print and the banding was still there. About an hour later I cleaned print heads and did another test print and the banding went away. Anyone have experience with this?

Pics below.

imji.jpg

6v4l.jpg

5h2w.jpg

947z.jpg

xudy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wunder

you must change the printhead.....or you can check the PH-Voltage correct it up +1 Volt L+R and run a IQ-Testprint again

best regards
wunder

hottscennessey

Replace even though it was recovered successfully?

What is happening to the printhead internally that it would need to be replaced?

What will raising the voltage do / compensate for?

Thanks for the help, I'm still learning

J Hill Designs

no need to replace the head, YET...

you most likely have ink starvation, caused by a weakening damper, or a slight air leak above the head

omgsideburns

Not familiar with your machine, but like someone else said it looks like ink starvation.

On the printer I experience it on, it happens if there's a problem with low ink, bad filters, or if I have an air leaks or vacuum system problem.

J Hill Designs

OK here it is with the side panel off -- capping station side - looking from rear to front

they are a pain to get to, but no need to unplug any wires in there (DO turn off, unplug printer, and press power a few times to get rid of any latent power in the capacitors)

Attachments

• dampers.jpg
    dampers.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 92

danno

Also check the O-rings on the dampers and the printhead. We just replaced a print head that did a perfect nozzle check, but couldn't print 6" of colour. I have also learned there is a damper inside the printhead that is not replaceable.

neilchristie

9000 woes

Hey there,
Have you checked all the caps? Check your wiping unit? Been doing your maintenance?
How long has it been since you've installed a maintenance kit?

Try doing something simple first. Inspect the magenta cap for cracks, OR switch it with another colour and see if the problem transfers.

The 9000 does have dampers and they reside ontop of the carriage under a couple layers of fun. They do go, but not often.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes.