• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

911 address signs

ballparkgraphics

Looking for suggestions on 911 address signs. I'm working with the fire department which was originally wanting to use a reflective red substrate, approximately 6x18", or something close. I know green and blue are standard, and even saw someone offering black. What is everyone else using?

ballparkgraphics

A vertical or horizontal sign displaying one's address. For example, it might display: 24658, or something similar. Lettering is usually white and reflective.

It makes it much easier for emergency services to find the correct house, especially at night. Being in the field I can assure you that they are time/life savers.

2B

typically it is green background and white lettering. white background black lettering is a distant 2nd
Engineer grade or High Intensity are the two types used, depending on what the customer budget is

@
Pat White

The 911 address was adapted when the 911 bill passed in 1996 because the emergency response vehicles had no idea how to find Rural Route addresses (Rt. 2 Box 136-B)

ballparkgraphics

Thanks for your input 2B. We use green backgrounds for Farm Road signs, and blue backgrounds for Private Roads in our county. We were hoping to use red as it's distinguishable as an 'emergency color.'

typically it is green background and white lettering. white background black lettering is a distant 2nd
Engineer grade or High Intensity are the two types used, depending on what the customer budget is

@
Pat White

The 911 address was adapted when the 911 bill passed in 1996 because the emergency response vehicles had no idea how to find Rural Route addresses (Rt. 2 Box 136-B)

2B

Thanks for your input 2B. We use green backgrounds for Farm Road signs, and blue backgrounds for Private Roads in our county. We were hoping to use red as it's distinguishable as an 'emergency color.'

we rarely have privates road here but yes BLUE is the is color used. Have never used/seen red on the 911 addresses. why do you need to distinguish them as emeregency color? are only certain addresses getting the 911 address?

red on green is not going to have the best contrast. Have you contacted the local DOT to see if they have reglulation on coloring for address signs?

ballparkgraphics

we rarely have privates road here but yes BLUE is the is color used. Have never used/seen red on the 911 addresses. why do you need to distinguish them as emeregency color? are only certain addresses getting the 911 address?

red on green is not going to have the best contrast. Have you contacted the local DOT to see if they have reglulation on coloring for address signs?

The red would be the background color, not the lettering. I don't have to distinguish them, just thought it would be helpful. Any color reflective sign by the roadway should work for catching a unit's lights at night. Sorry, we refer to physical addresses as 911 addresses since they are fairly new to the county. We used to have rural route numbers and boxes but now have 3-5 digit numbers followed by a road name. And no, I haven't spoken with DOT.

2B

The red would be the background color, not the lettering. I don't have to distinguish them, just thought it would be helpful. Any color reflective sign by the roadway should work for catching a unit's lights at night. Sorry, we refer to physical addresses as 911 addresses since they are fairly new to the county. We used to have rural route numbers and boxes but now have 3-5 digit numbers followed by a road name. And no, I haven't spoken with DOT.

We went through the 911 address change years ago and it was a HEADACHE. There was the size (sign and font) font type, color, layout orientation, etc... and we still have customers who refuse the 911 address and only use the Rt. Box system for their contact.

the other point is these 911 addresses will be used by police, EMS, Fire, etc... so not only do you need to check with DOT on color regulation you will also need to check with the other stations to make sure they do not have color regulations as well.

ballparkgraphics

We went through the 911 address change years ago and it was a HEADACHE. There was the size (sign and font) font type, color, layout orientation, etc... and we still have customers who refuse the 911 address and only use the Rt. Box system for their contact.

the other point is these 911 addresses will be used by police, EMS, Fire, etc... so not only do you need to check with DOT on color regulation you will also need to check with the other stations to make sure they do not have color regulations as well.

It is a headache for sure. I work with the addressing authority for the county, so what they say for addressing and color goes, as far as emergency services is concerned. They are all for having the proper address displayed, as it's the biggest factor in delaying response to emergencies.

Sounds like green or blue is going to be the way to go, since they are the most readily available.