• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

970RA wrap help...

Nstep007

im trying to try my hand in wraping, and i am using 970ra matte black on my '95 gmc 1500, the problem i have is i run into large bubbles when i place the vinyl on, some will just dissapeer after you kinda "rub" them out, and others cause a wrinkle when you try it... but my main concern in, my body line goes in... instead of out... i dont have a pic now, but can try to upload one... and i install the whole picec and i use the heat gun to kind of help the vinyl sink down in the body line, and it looks great, a couple days past, and now i have large bubbles in the body line... did i do somthing wrong?

sorry if i confused anyone, fell free to ask question on how i eff'd up

mudmedia

I cant help with the large bubbles but all I can say is you probably didnt install properly would be my guess...On the body line channel. Your problem was you heated and pushed in.

cdiesel

You should work the vinyl into the concave areas, instead of heating & pushing it in. I'd advise you to take a wrap class to learn the basics.

JoshLoring

You should work the vinyl into the concave areas, instead of heating & pushing it in. I'd advise you to take a wrap class to learn the basics.

+1

Wrapping is not as easy as it may appear. We love it when clients say they will install themselves to save money. Always end up buying a second order and having us install it.

Take a class.

Nstep007

i purchased online, the local N Glantz had no pointers what so ever.... i realize it is to "heat the vinyl" sorry im new to this and just trying my hand at it, i guess what i dont understand is why i cant use the heat gun to soften the vinyl and make it stick in the body lines...

mudmedia

it is an adhesive vinyl sticker. You can only stretch it so far until it "pops". You should only use heat to smooth out the vinyl when you see "fingers" or when you need help to conform to curves. DO NOT HEAT AND STRETCH it will bounce back and that is what your seeing happen in the body lines.

Nstep007

thank you, i figured thats what would happen, but a couple people i talked to hyped this up pretty good "just heat it with the torch and it wil fall right in the crease" they failed to tell me it come right back out.

Nstep007

Take it to your local sign shop an have them install it.
great idea.... thanx for your comment.... then i can take my bacon and eggs to ihop and have them make me breakfast... im just trying to get tips and some pointers, first time doin a wrap, on a vehcle that seems pretty difficult. learn by trial and error, and just hopein some people can help me out

mopar691

Take it to your local sign shop an have them install it.

This is my suggestion also. You want help? Pay a professional for this.

Not to be rude but your not in this industry, your just trying to cheap out and wrap your own car with all our help. I say no thanks good sir, no pointers from me.

What do you do for work? Will you tell me how to do it so you can be out of work also?

J

john1

I'm not a wrapper (lol) but i have used the 970RA and it's not a removable vinyl so once it's on there it's tough as heck to get off. It does seem to bubble easier then other air egress vinyls i have used though. Use a new squeegee with a nice edge and use firm pressure on each stroke to lay it down well.

ucmj22

great idea.... thanx for your comment.... then i can take my bacon and eggs to ihop and have them make me breakfast... im just trying to get tips and some pointers, first time doin a wrap, on a vehcle that seems pretty difficult. learn by trial and error, and just hopein some people can help me out

I don't take my eggs and bacon to ihop and expect the cook to teach me how to cook them.

You: hey, can you teach me how to cook my eggs and bacon?
IHOP cook: how about I cook them for you for $4.
You: no that's ok. It's just eggs and bacon, it's not worth $4, a monkey can do it. Can't you just show me?
IHOP cook: Truck off

If you don't own a shop or work in one, you're just trying to not pay one of us for something we actually do for a living.
Figure it out on you tube if you must, but don't come around here asking me to render myself useless

Last edited:

Nstep007

just cuz i dont own a shop dosnt mean i dont work with vinyl... i have done many of large outdoor signs, and a ton a fleet graphics on box trucks, and vans etc for large compnays... i just have never wrapped a vehicle before.... i already have many plotters, but before i spent alot of money on a printer, i wanted to be sure wrapping can be somthing i can take on, so i figured wrap one of the trucks, im not lookin for freebies or nothin like that, i been cuttin vinyl for over 5 years, im young and still kinda novice cuz its really a side gig, i appriciate everyone who have replyed with positive messages, but for the few who havnt, im sorry if i offened you in any way by askings for pointers on this forum... and i didnt ask any one to do it for me, im sure you do great work, but i can handle this, i was just confused as to why the vinyl was bubbleing out of the body lines.

ucmj22

I apologize, but the way it came across was that you simply bought some vinyl but didn't want to pay for the install. Honestly watching would be the best way to learn anyway. There are so many subtleties to wrapping that it is hard to put the techniques in to words sometimes. I can't tell you how to do it, but if I was there, I could tell you what you're doing wrong, if that makes any sense.

COOKY

Try Justin pates DVD training. You will
Learn heaps from it. It will also give you alot
More basic knowledge to help form your questions on here and understand the answers better. Ie bridging and working the vinyl into the channel. Another thing you will learn which alot of people forget is post heating. Bridging is ok with good materials bust must be post heated.
Order his 3dvd set for $99. You won't look back
Cooky