• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Beautiful Death

Arlo Kalon 2.0

We spent most of last night keeping a vigil at my only baby sister's hospital bedside. She needed surgery to replace a nearly non functioning heart valve, an outcome of congestive heart failure. First though, they had to take her gall bladder out. The first attempt ended with them having to shock her heart back to life, the second ended with her blood pressure bottoming out. Finally, on the third attempt they were successful, but she never regained consciousness. We came home in the wee hours of this morning to a few hours of sleep before a text from my brother in law telling me her heart was failing. We rushed back to her bedside. It broke my heart to see her grown children there supporting each other as they felt the need to cry.

A nurse came in and told us her blood pressure was staying around 40/35, and the lack of oxygen to her body was causing a cascade of organ failures. She said we needed to consider taking her off life support. She left us to decide. Shortly thereafter a very big/tall black man came into the room and announced he was a friend of someone in our family and asked if he could pray with us. We gathered around my sister's bedside holding our hands as he prayed a prayer that I swear literally shook the foundations of the hospital building. He reminded us to celebrate her life and that to be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord. I swear he knew the concerns of each of our hearts and addressed all of them in his prayer. He left as quickly as he came in. Our hearts were settled in the matter to disconnect the life support and let her go.

Nobody seems to know who he was. My sister passed peacefully a few minutes later. I'm sorry Colin, but I believe we were visited by an angel at our greatest time of need. We all cried our hearts out but were very relieved. I guess I still believe.

WrapperX

The Lord presents Himself in ways we shall never understand, but in ways that we need at the time we need Him.

I'm sorry for your loss, be at peace to know She is in a better place with no suffering.

hightop

You and your family have been through so very much lately. Between your illness and now your sister. I have read the threads and prayed for you but hesitated to comment. Now it is absolutely necessary to tell you that my heart is going out to you and your family. God puts people like the gentleman who prayed with you into our lives when we need them the most. It is good to see that you believe that, also.

Prayers continue for you all.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there was ever a question of your believing or not. There will always be those moments when everyone has their doubts, it's the truly brave ones that remain steadfast.

Whatever you call it, it gave you all peace and the courage to do a positively great deed for your sister's last moments with you.

Cherish the moment and give your sister all the time she needs to now move on.

Thoughts and prayers to ya, bro.

GypsyGraphics

arlo, this is the third thread of yours that i've sat staring at, and wanting to write and tell you my thoughts on God.

knowing i can't keep it brief... i think i'll send you a pm tonight and if anything about my belief bothers you, you can trash it and at least it won't be forever here in this thread.

i'll say this much here... the only time i think i had, what would be considered a "conventional belief" in God was when i was young. in my teens two tragedies made me decide God either doesn't exists or He does, and i just plain don't like Him. i hoped that when i died, i'd at least have enough time to demand answers before for being sent to hell for not liking him.

it took a few more tragedies and a few miracles, before God began to make sense to me again. not in the same way as when i was little, but in a way i can wrap my brain around now and truly take comfort in.

so i just wanted say that whatever your belief is at this time in your life... i think that God gets that we are confused, we are scared and we are heartbroken.

i've been praying for you and your family for a long time... and while i don't always know what i'm praying for.... i do know i pray that somehow He can ease your confusion, fear and heartache over the loss of your sister.

and now i'll expand my prayers to include your sister's family as well.

love, gg

maybe i've said enough and don't need to send that pm after all

John Butto

"that sir is an angel"

I too have seen a tall dark skin man dress in black except for a silver medallion almost 44 years ago. He did not speak but appeared at the unlikeliness of a place and then returned back the same way he appeared. I and the person who witnessed this still talk about it to this day and it still gives a cold shiver to run down my spine. I do not participate in any form of religion and have read Nietzsche to Tolstoy and do not go to werewolf movies and try to understand all peoples views and their beliefs.

RJ California

Thank you for sharing that Arlo. I'm glad that you and your family were comforted so powerfully at the moment of her passing. This story gives comfort to all of us and reaffirms the faith for those of us who believe.

iSign

My heart feels heavy for your loss, and resonates with emotion & agreement at the angel in your moment of need.
peace be with you & all you families