• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A couple of questions about my Summa d140 cutter?

gabagoo

My Summa d140 seems to only run off usb, and is hooked up to my print and cut computer. I also have a graphtec hooked up to my Signlab computer for all general vinyl cutting. I wanted to start using the Summa to cut from Signlab but the cable would be about 25 feet long and I think usb has limitations...I also only have one usb port so would like to use a hub. Anybody have suggestions how I should do this?

second question is more technical regarding the Summa d140. I know there is some form of calibration for how it reads registration marks... I have done the test with using the black vinyl, where it cuts out a square then reads it, but I was pretty sure there was another calibration that helped to determine the light levels needed. I can't find it in the manual, but was sure a tech guy did it when the machine was new

AF

Does you Summa have a network port? I have experienced zero issues running our Summa off Ethernet.

bigben

I have a 30ft usb cable with a booster in it for my D160. I wish I had the ethernet port, but de D series do not have it. As for the hub, I can't answer because I've never tried it, but theoretically, it should work.

gabagoo

I do have an ethernet port...How does this work and how would I hook it up to my main computer? Ethernet as well?

jerry369

second question is more technical regarding the Summa d140. I know there is some form of calibration for how it reads registration marks...
I can't find it in the manual, but was sure a tech guy did it when the machine was new

User's Manual, page 69:

3.3.2 Media calibration

Media calibration ensures that the sensor is able to recognize the marks. OPOS is calibrated at the factory to work on a wide range of media. However, certain media -- such as those with a high gloss -- may not work with the default settings. Before working with such materials, perform a media calibration test. This test will alter OPOS’s sensitivity so that it will read the marks with greater reliability.
Print a square measuring at least 4x4cm on the used media. Make sure to use the same ink than the one when creating the registration marks.
Perform the media calibration:
1. Turn on the cutter and load the vinyl with the printed square.
2. Press Settings
3. Press More
4. Press OPOS.
The cutter allows the user to choose to either measure the media or to fill in a previously recorded value.
5. Press Calibrate media (OPOS)
6. Press measure.
The cutter will make a circular movement while it measures the reflection of the media. It will briefly display the measured values and display the message “put knife on printed area.”
7. Use the arrows to maneuver the knife in the middle of the white area, press apply.
8. Use arrows to maneuver the knife in the middle of the printed area. Press apply.
The cutter will make a circular movement while it measures the reflection of the mark color. It will briefly display the measured values. Then it will show a value that is characteristic for this media color – mark color combination. Store this value for future reference.
NOTE: An error message may appear if the sensor is not able to differentiate between black and white. Make sure that the test has been performed correctly. If OPOS is not able to sense the marks, one of the manual alignment methods (see 4.3.1.10) should be used.
NOTE: If a combination of media color – mark color has already been calibrated and recorded, "SET" this can be used to enter the value directly, without having to re-measure it.