• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A couple questions about Graphic Tracer

Andy D

I have been wanting to try this program for a long while, and finally signed up.
At first I didn't care for it, now that I'm getting used to it, I really like it but I
have questions:
1. when I don't have a font and have to download it, is there a quick way to have your program add it into the font list? I have even tried to add a font folder with just the two new fonts I download today & update just that folder... it took forever

2. There's not a crop tool, is there?

3. If I want to export to open in Corel, is there a way to keep the type as fonts?

I know I had more, just can't think of them right now.

Last edited:

GTracer

Andy,
Thank you for your comments. I keep telling people, "The tool that works the best is the one that you know". If people take a little time to learn the work flow (which is not difficult), and really understand how Graphic Tracer works, they don't want to go back to their old tools. The "update" button in the font database management folder only applies to the fonts that are actually installed on your computer. You typically will not need to update that very often, and yes, it can take a long time to update. I have a folder on my HD that I call download fonts. Inside that folder, I have sub folders for various locations where I download fonts, such as "Dafont". If i download a font, it goes into a designated folder, then in Graphic Tracer, I build a font database for each folder. I have a number of databases in GT, such as Corel, Adobe, Flexi, ect.. If I add fonts to a specific folder, I go to GT and delete my database for that specific folder and then rebuild it with the updated information. Hopefully, this makes sense... if not send me a note through the support portal on the graphicpowers site.
Fonts used in GT are for clean up purposes. New text can be added withing GT with any fonts that you own, even if they are not installed. Once used, they become part of the graphic and are not editable.

Regarding a crop tool... we added in release 9. Check and see what version you are using. If it is not release 9, go to your account page at graphicpowers.com and you can download and run the update.
Here you can see the crop or masking tool in use:

Steve

gabagoo

I like the sound of this program.... How many people are using this, and what are the limitations? Is it only used for typesetting or can it trace custom designed graphics?...and how good a job does it do on those?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have NO idea what you said about the fonts and it sounds like a lot of PITA work. I'm interested in trying it but that sounds confusing

unclebun

I think he means that rather than have it update the GT font database by scanning the entire Windows folder every time you add a new font, keep a separate folder for various font sources as you download and add them to your computer. Then in GT, make separate databases for each of those downloaded fonts folders, so that when you download a new font, you can just scan and update a small folder instead of the full database of thousands of fonts, which saves time.

Andy D

Steve, I have removed and re-added my font folder on my desktop a couple of times, tried saving the font folder to my C drive and adding it that way. For some reason your program isn't
matching fonts I know I have in there, do you know what the issue is?

decalman

Andy,
Thank you for your comments. I keep telling people, "The tool that works the best is the one that you know". If people take a little time to learn the work flow (which is not difficult), and really understand how Graphic Tracer works, they don't want to go back to their old tools. The "update" button in the font database management folder only applies to the fonts that are actually installed on your computer. You typically will not need to update that very often, and yes, it can take a long time to update. I have a folder on my HD that I call download fonts. Inside that folder, I have sub folders for various locations where I download fonts, such as "Dafont". If i download a font, it goes into a designated folder, then in Graphic Tracer, I build a font database for each folder. I have a number of databases in GT, such as Corel, Adobe, Flexi, ect.. If I add fonts to a specific folder, I go to GT and delete my database for that specific folder and then rebuild it with the updated information. Hopefully, this makes sense... if not send me a note through the support portal on the graphicpowers site.
Fonts used in GT are for clean up purposes. New text can be added withing GT with any fonts that you own, even if they are not installed. Once used, they become part of the graphic and are not editable.

Regarding a crop tool... we added in release 9. Check and see what version you are using. If it is not release 9, go to your account page at graphicpowers.com and you can download and run the update.
Here you can see the crop or masking tool in use:

Steve

I do a lot of vector tracing.
I currently use Corel x5.
This GTracer looks like Corel on steroids.
How much is this program?

signage

I do a lot of vector tracing.
I currently use Corel x5.
This GTracer looks like Corel on steroids.
How much is this program?

Did you even try to do a search on this forum or in google?
It is a subscription software and if memory is correct about $100.00 per year.

decalman

Did you even try to do a search on this forum or in google?
It is a subscription software and if memory is correct about $100.00 per year.
100 dollars..... WHAT.... DO I LOOK RICH?
The dog needs braces. Sink needs fixing, etc. Plus my KDP needs to be tapped.

A Dodge thing

signage

100 dollars..... WHAT.... DO I LOOK RICH?
The dog needs braces. Sink needs fixing, etc. Plus my KDP needs to be tapped.

A Dodge thing

If your in business and $100.00 is too much then you are not charging enough, even a handyman needs to be able to buy tools and most are $100.00 +.

Having an extra $100.00 wouldn't make someone rich, sell the dodge and add $0.50 and you could get the tools :-{)-

WildWestDesigns

You actually have 3 options if I'm looking at the correct place.

$15 a month
$120 a year
$595 Lifetime (essentially perpetual)

Regardless of what my stance is on subscription software, here you have a choice, that's something that I can get behind. As to what one prefers or not and how much they can afford that's specific to them. I'm more about choices.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We tried it. It was clunky and slow to use and was disappointed by the font ID. I got better results from inkscape for $0.

Andy D

We tried it. It was clunky and slow to use and was disappointed by the font ID. I got better results from inkscape for $0.
Agreed, the font identification was bad.
I would put art in that had a font I knew I had & it wouldn't identify it.
I could put the font in manually but it wouldn't match anything in the art, like an arch.

decalman

If your in business and $100.00 is too much then you are not charging enough, even a handyman needs to be able to buy tools and most are $100.00 +.

Having an extra $100.00 wouldn't make someone rich, sell the dodge and add $0.50 and you could get the tools :-{)-
Thanks for the pep talk. Your right, but I'm soo poor. What an awful business man I am. I'm the worst.
I know Jesus though, so I'm Rich in other areas. I will soon retire. Yay . I got 200 a month coming . ( never thought I'd live this long

P.S. that does seem like a baad tracing software.

GTracer

Agreed, the font identification was bad.
I would put art in that had a font I knew I had & it wouldn't identify it.
I could put the font in manually but it wouldn't match anything in the art, like an arch.

If you were searching for one of your own fonts and Graphic Tracer could not find it, then something was not set up properly. There are three main reasons the FontEye tool in Graphic Tracer does not find the correct font, assuming the program has been correctly set up 1. the font you are trying to identify is not one of the 100,000+ fonts of our online search database or in your own font collection 2. the font has been distorted in some way by a graphic designer (the FontEye can identify a variety of distorted fonts, but not all) 3. the operator has made a procedural error in the setup or in using the program. I conduct regular live interactive webinars showing how the program works, and often do those webinars using graphics provided to me by webinar attendees. I have used this software in my own shop for many years and would be happy to interact with anyone desiring more information. contact info steve@graphicpowers.com