• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A couple recent routed HDU jobs we're really proud of

TimToad

Did you design them? They look awesome! Love the two side panels for the Tobin sign. What a cool idea.

Thanks Marlene, we appreciate the kind words. This was the biggest sign of its type that we've done here and a real logistic challenge on many fronts. We couldn't fully assemble it and attach it to the frame until nearly all the painting was done and it had to remain upright through the assembly process due to its weight and needing to be able to get to both sides for the through bolting to the frame.

There are two of us doing all the design work here, but I do the vast majority of the dimensional signage design. The sunburst on the Tobin James Cellars job is a part of their brand.

I found the "before" photo of what we replaced. A bit of an improvement I'd say.

Attachments

• Tobin James Cellars BEFORE.jpg
    Tobin James Cellars BEFORE.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 369

equippaint

Ill ask a potentially dumb question and risk being beat with a wet noodle here. On the Tobin sign, did you paint the shadowing on the yellow letters or is it an actual shadow in the picture? If it was painted, what method did you use?

TimToad

Ill ask a potentially dumb question and risk being beat with a wet noodle here. On the Tobin sign, did you paint the shadowing on the yellow letters or is it an actual shadow in the picture? If it was painted, what method did you use?

No, the prismatic (convex, as us old timers call it) effect is actually carved out of the HDU. The peaks on the capital letters is actually about 2" deep. They are painted a single yellow color, but the light playing off of them is what really makes it work.

Sandman

Great looking signs but here is something to think about in the future. Wood rots, HDU doesn't. Think again about attaching a temporary product (mdo) to a permanent one (hdu). When you need a backer for installation purposes, do what you did on the Tobin job with the Alupanel.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Great looking signs but here is something to think about in the future. Wood rots, HDU doesn't. Think again about attaching a temporary product (mdo) to a permanent one (hdu). When you need a backer for installation purposes, do what you did on the Tobin job with the Alupanel.

Unless I missed something there isn't any wood on the signs. They're HDU.

TimToad

Actually, we do use MDO on some signs as the backing panel depending the installation method, weight considerations, etc. When glued to the back of the HDU, the panels are completely covered with waterproof polyurethane glue and vacuum clamped on a large suction table. As the glue is forced out from the pressure, it creates an even 100% coverage between the MDO, DiBond, etc. and the HDU. Once routed, we apply three coats of a urethane based primer to all the edges after they are sanded smooth. On top of that goes at least 2-3 coats of industrial quality, latex enamel.

MDO is constructed with waterproof glues between each veneer sheet and being a signmaker nearing 60 years old, I'll see these signs easily survive until retirement if not longer. I'm actually more concerned about the long term viability of the inner core of DiBond/ACM than a well prepared MDO backing.

DerbyCitySignGuy

In any case, very nice, very clean signs. They look amazing and y'all did a great job.

I really wish we got to do more signage like that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Its not actual wood. Its just the simulated woodgrain texture we chose to rout into the background of the foam. Any number of textures can be created.

The entire sign is HDU
except for the 1/2" MDO backing panel we laminate to the foam before routing it to shape.

On the Tobin James Cellars sign which is about 4'x24', we used AluPanel as the backing panels and only 10 lb. density HDU to keep the weight down and then used LEXEL adhesive and tons of through bolts to sandwich both sides of the sign to a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" welded and powdercoated internal frame.

Perhaps this will clear your mind.