• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A Damn shame..

Jillbeans

Too bad it could not have been donated to the American Sign Museum in Cincy.
You like retro...you NEED to see this place.
Love....Jill

TheSnowman

Shocking to you, yes I did. I know operators used switchboards back in the day, is that what this is? I just don't get why you'd advertise that, unless back then no place had a phone unless it had a switchboard, and that's what you had to go to to make the calls.

Jburns

attachment.php

Attachments

• switchboard-operator.jpg
    switchboard-operator.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 79

TheSnowman

LOL.

I know what a switchboard is, I just don't get what value it had to advertising that to the average person looking for a hotel room.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Today, it's probably equivalent to some place advertising 'Free WiFi. Samating. It's nice to know how and why things got to be where they are today. It helps knowing some of the old stuff. It helps more living through it and thinking how amazing it was back then.

When my grandfather was born, they had horse and buggies and cars came along about 20 years later, along with electricity in the house and plumbing. Phones and all that stuff was just at first for the rich until it caught on, but the biggest thing for those older generations was to not know what an airplane was to not even 70 years later seeing man walk on the moon and other space flight. Can you imagine all the stuff they had to keep re-learning ??

player

When I was a kid my friends mother worked for many years as a switchboard operator for Bell Canada. There was some sort of long drawn out wage dispute, and 20 years later she got a huge back pay check and here salary almost doubled. She also won $300K in the lottery. RIP Claire.