• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A day in the life of a designer

Stacey K

I like making signs
You need to be paid fairly for what you are doing. Do what Gino said, make a list of all that you do and ask for a meeting. It's possible that they really don't realize what you are all doing. Once confronted with this list they may realize immediately you are worth more. Be professional about it - it could land you more than you are expecting! If not it's time to look for another job. Remember, everything happens for a reason and bad situations lead to better opportunities. "I never should have quit that job where I made little money for much work" - said very few people ever. Good luck!

rmaclucy

Thank you all for the advise. Now that I know I am not being unreasonable, I will sit down with the bosses and see what all can be done for us all the be happy.

Johnny Best

The poster never mentioned that they loved their job. Did say in a round about way that they have a lot on their table.
Anybody who told me they loved their job really do not need a vacation since that would take them away from their love.
About the list you were suggested to have when you talk to your bosses. Tell them since you do the work of many to give you two paychecks because thats what will happen when you leave and they have to hire at least two or three people to fill the void you left.
I still say quit and give them 2 weeks notice and let them make a list on what they are going to do.
On the suggestion of you writing down a list of things to say to the boss, give me a break! If you can't remember the things you want in your memory and need to write a list, you don't deserve a raise!

spectrum maine

YOU ARE A PRODUCTION MANAGER FIRST, DESIGNER SECOND, RECEPTIONIST THIRD & SALES ASSISTANT FOURTH.
PICK THE TITLE THAT IS WORTH THE MOST. (PM) SAD FACT BUT WITH THE COMPUTER AGE UPON US A DESIGNER IS NOT VERY IMPORTANT ANYMORE. I WOULD SAY 40-45K YEAR 50 HRS MAX A WEEK.

WildWestDesigns

On the suggestion of you writing down a list of things to say to the boss, give me a break! If you can't remember the things you want in your memory and need to write a list, you don't deserve a raise!

Sometimes it's less about memory and more of a visual for the other person. Some people need that extra help. Right or wrong, sometimes seeing that visual aide does help.

Anybody who told me they loved their job really do not need a vacation since that would take them away from their love.

"The flame that burns twice as bright, burns half as long".

Love something or not, everyone needs a break. It also helps when getting back to what you "love" as well. Able to see things with "fresh" eyes.

I still say quit and give them 2 weeks notice and let them make a list on what they are going to do.

If "you" are already planning a leaving, it doesn't hurt to see about getting a raise (unless just wanting to quit no matter what) and then give them two weeks notice. It doesn't hurt to see at that time.

I firmly believe in not being too aggressive with it either (despite the urge to and this is coming from a hot head).

SAD FACT BUT WITH THE COMPUTER AGE UPON US A DESIGNER IS NOT VERY IMPORTANT ANYMORE.

Ironically, while I agree with you in most people's minds this is the case, I think a designer is even more important now given the computer age. Computers are wonderful things, I actually like working on mine after work as well, I just like them. But people just used them to skip too many steps and that's costing everyone.

Happens in my trade as well. It's sad.

rmaclucy

The poster never mentioned that they loved their job. Did say in a round about way that they have a lot on their table.
About the list you were suggested to have when you talk to your bosses. Tell them since you do the work of many to give you two paychecks because thats what will happen when you leave and they have to hire at least two or three people to fill the void you left.
Thanks Johnny, and thanks for the great advice you give on this site. I do love my job and I don't mind the many hats I wear as it keeps me busy. I just want to be paid what I am worth and not feel taken advantage of.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I do love my job and I don't mind the many hats I wear as it keeps me busy.
Just as I suspected from the original post.

I just want to be paid what I am worth and not feel taken advantage of.
I'm afraid sales and / or prices are too low. You're in a real bind over this fact because ownership may truly find it very difficult to afford more.

As many have mentioned earlier, many of the tasks, "Salesperson" should be handling. You're not the lazy one, but you know that.

Question; Do you believe "Salesperson" is accomplished using CoreBridge?

TimToad

I guess I'm the outlier. I don't think the pay is bad for that size of company in the Cincinnati area, but I would agree your title shouldn't be designer. Do you have a degree in design? If you only did design, would you have 8 hours of work to do a day?

Obviously none of us know what type of worker you are, but if you hired in at $18 four years ago and have taken on a lot more responsibility and are good at what you do, then you should have been given more of a raise then $1.10 an hour in 4 years.

Especially in this allegedly robust, low unemployment economy.

rmaclucy

Just as I suspected from the original post.

I'm afraid sales and / or prices are too low. You're in a real bind over this fact because ownership may truly find it very difficult to afford more.

As many have mentioned earlier, many of the tasks, "Salesperson" should be handling. You're not the lazy one, but you know that.

Question; Do you believe "Salesperson" is accomplished using CoreBridge?
Basically, the salesperson does the site survey and talks to the client. Then it gets handed over to me. It is my job from here on out. Then to make matters worse, after I quote the job in CB, I have to review it with the other boss that knows nothing of the job and then the quote gets sent. Nothing here makes sense and as you can imagine, lots of mistakes made using this system.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
lots of mistakes made using this system.
You're asking for more pay but could continue with matters as they are. Most here believe you should offload most of the admin to Salesperson / Accounting. Would you be happy if that were to happen?

I'll ask again; Can Sales and / or Accounting even use CoreBridge effectively, or at all?

rmaclucy

You're asking for more pay but could continue with matters as they are. Most here believe you should offload most of the admin to Salesperson / Accounting. Would you be happy if that were to happen?

I'll ask again; Can Sales and / or Accounting even use CoreBridge effectively, or at all?
Absolutely, we all went through the training.

TimToad

Yes, for our area that would be excessive. $18 is considered the norm for experienced designer.

But you are so much more than just an experienced designer. Many construction industries have stand alone full time estimators, a function you are now providing. Most construction industry jobs in larger shops have positions where permit applications and submittal drawings are stand alone positions.

I realize that none of us know your full compensation package and whether or not it includes any kind of healthcare, profit sharing, paid time off, vacation, etc...., but at first glance it sure seems like you are saving the company an enormous amount of money per year.

For the sake of context, I looked up your area's cost of living indexes and how they compare to the U.S. Median averages.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/ohio/cincinnati

Your city is a little cheaper than the nationwide average medians in several key areas, but it's not so much lower than the average that you shouldn't be able to command a decent wage. In a couple key areas like Utilities and Transportation costs that aren't as easy to offset, its right at the median.

Your employers should recognize all the assets you're bringing to the table and understand the huge risk they face if you were to leave. If you think it would be impossible to earn much more than you currently are, you have some tough decisions to make.

Good luck. I've been in your exact position several times in my 40 year career and admitting the status quo was untenable and that leaving was always the best move has never not worked out for the best.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
But you DON'T know anything about the business, other than $600k and she makes $19.10 an hour. As I mentioned, and you reiterated, you don't know hers or anyone else's compensations, the rent/mortgage, utilities, inventory, or just about anything, but yet, you make baseless claims. For 6 people and all the other overhead, they probably are close to $450k at least in pay outs...... and you think they can just hand out money for someone who wants more ?? The company is barely surviving based on her numbers. Then, you compare her company to multi-multi million dollar companies. What's with your reasoning.

Should she be making more ?? Yes, but only if they can afford it. If they can't, her best bargaining point is gonna be to have one of the owners. .... or both, do more actual hands-on work and lighten her load. If it was a 2 or 3 man shop with those numbers, that's different. Stick with the facts and try to stop saying ridiculous things. You get peoples' hopes up for nothing with your narrow-sighted observations.

rmaclucy

But you are so much more than just an experienced designer. Many construction industries have stand alone full time estimators, a function you are now providing. Most construction industry jobs in larger shops have positions where permit applications and submittal drawings are stand alone positions.

I realize that none of us know your full compensation package and whether or not it includes any kind of healthcare, profit sharing, paid time off, vacation, etc...., but at first glance it sure seems like you are saving the company an enormous amount of money per year.

For the sake of context, I looked up your area's cost of living indexes and how they compare to the U.S. Median averages.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/ohio/cincinnati

Your city is a little cheaper than the nationwide average medians in several key areas, but it's not so much lower than the average that you shouldn't be able to command a decent wage. In a couple key areas like Utilities and Transportation costs that aren't as easy to offset, its right at the median.

Your employers should recognize all the assets you're bringing to the table and understand the huge risk they face if you were to leave. If you think it would be impossible to earn much more than you currently are, you have some tough decisions to make.

Good luck. I've been in your exact position several times in my 40 year career and admitting the status quo was untenable and that leaving was always the best move has never not worked out for the best.
Thanks Tim, I am going to sit down with my bosses and see what needs to happen. Thanks for the link!