• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A different kind of before/after.

Pat Whatley

Some of you have already heard the whole story behind this and I'm not dragging it out again. I've spent the first part of this year really pushing a higher end product in an attempt to get away from the commodity end of this business (regardless of what Bob believes). As a part of that process I've done a good bit of spec work on selective projects, things that I felt would benefit my portfolio, and for the most part it's been very successful.

This one, however didn't work out after he got his graphic designer after it and set it up to match his cards. :thumb:

I'm not making this up. I'm also pretty confident it will never get done, either.

nulife3.jpg

SignManiac

That's absolutely unbelievable. What an azzhat. Some people deserve to fall on their face.
Really like your layout Pat!

P.S. Dont give up on your quest to sell better design. It takes some time to set yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

Border

Good Gawd!!!!

On a side note, Pat....That's some very nice designin' skilz there!

Might hafta just change the name to a generic name so you can still use it in your portfolio.

I am at a loss for words on their decision though. Someone should def be BEATEN!

Border

I hope you very clearly informed them that your artwork is YOURS!!!!
I can just imagine you seeing that rolling down the road with your design on it, only you didn't do it!

Deaton Design

Sh** thats awful. HOw can these people see this as good? Your design looks great and would help his business no doubt. The bottom one will just make people look away...sigh...

ddarlak

Go Bills!
sometimes you make something to be proud of, sometimes you just collect a check.

it's good to distinguish which it will be before you put in all that work - for nothing.

Border

I think you should shop that design to his closet local rivals, whoever has the most vans...
Let him see those things looking awesome and running all over town with some other company's name on them!

signage

I think you should shop that design to his closet local rivals, whoever has the most vans...
Let him see those things looking awesome and running all over town with some other company's name on them!
:goodpost: Then when he comes back asking for it you can tell him the other guy bought the rights:rolleyes:

OlsonSigns601

I wouldn't do it.

I wouldn't put my name on anything like that so he can tell all his carpet cleaning buddies who did his van.

People come to us because we are graphic designers or like me try to be for that matter. If doing design work was as easy as just typing we wouldn't be doing this for a living.

I have and will continue to do so refuse work where the customer refuses to accept an effective and decent design. Some customers appreciate that, the others can go to their cousin/friend who does graphic design work with MS Paint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't believe you drink Pat, but after this one, it would be a pretty good time to start............

They even fugged up the doors beyond belief. :doh:

Yep, keep this design and sell it to another worthwhile appreciative client and try it later. That one will fly big time, if you find the right client.

Something tells me, you're gonna have some trouble in the future. Have this sneaking feeling, they did this so you would go away and they're gonna shop the design out and go cheaper. Be careful and like mentioned.... make sure they know they can't use any part of this design whatsoever. :noway:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
What if it's a cordless mouse? lol

Cordless just means you hold it like a rock and you beat him in the face with it until his face or his mouse breaks ... whichever is first ... you can HOPE he has a cordless mouse ... more than likely not ... but you can hope he does.

jeez ... the real kicker is if this 'designer' has stuff like a 24" cintiq attached to an alienware system ... that would tick me off more knowing that hack job was done on that sort of a setup ...

J

john1

lol

Sometimes you can't fix stupid...This case you deff cannot.

This is like choosing your cousins, friend who's mom does "graphic design" over Dan Antonelli's work.

Pat Whatley

I'm really, really hoping the other designer guy just gave up and let the customer have EXACTLY what he wanted. We used to do a lot of work for this guy, that's why I did his layouts and stuff on spec. It had been several years since I'd seen him last....when he came in this time he was not really all together there anymore.

TheSnowman

Put the one you did in your portfolio...and use the "swap"...show what they gave you, and show what you did with it. The other 99.9% will see how it's a mega improvement. As far as the cordless mouse...you bust him between the eyes with that, then go find a corded mouse, wrap it around his neck, and then go back to 1995, grab a mouse pad, and cram it down his throat.

Ah, that felt good...