• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A fair price for large scale hand lettering

Wes Phifer

Gino. If people listened to you they would never try anything new. How did you learn all these things you are an expert on. I bet you did them for the first time once in your life. Everyone has to or they will learn nothing. I am with iSign on this one. Go do it!

buttons

Gino. If people listened to you they would never try anything new. How did you learn all these things you are an expert on. I bet you did them for the first time once in your life. Everyone has to or they will learn nothing. I am with iSign on this one. Go do it!

You're kidding me right? Gino was born an expert on everything sign related!

signmeup

I was wondering how this job went but I see the OP hasn't been back since the 6th. Must have scared him off.... pity.

My first wall job went off real smoothly. I really enjoyed it.

visual800

I cant wait to see how much paper that pounce pattern will take. better project it! I would charge $4500.00 and work it off scaffolding

iceracer

Not going to go into naming names or anything, but this being in the air some 15' or 20' is what makes this a little hairy for the OP. With or without experience, I hope he has the correct insurance for himself and liability... should he drop something on someone's head. That's my first concern.

Next, again.... being that high makes a pounce almost out of the question. I didn't even think to mention that originally because it goes without saying. However, having so many novices when it comes to hand painting, I forget sometimes.

Before doing anything, you must first prep the wall if needed. Personally, using a grid was always something I used when doing pictorials and/or large areas.... not this kinda layout. This being about 5' x 65'... I'd be on a 17' walk plank between two tall ladders. I would draw in a top line and bottom line. Sketch in with the charcoal all the letters I could fit in the first 15 or so feet. Probably about three, maybe four letters. Cut them in, fill them in and then do the shadow right away. Move to the next section and so on til finished.

If this was near ground level, I'd again put both top and bottom lines and charcoal in the letters from start to finish, cut them in, roll them in and come back and cut the shadow in when finished with the first color.

As for being the same skill level as painting your house, please don't say such things unless you're lettering your house while painting it. Has nothing to do with experience or talent. Has everything to do with paletting your paint, right consistency and proper prep work. None of which is done the same as in house painting. Ever wonder why some wall lettering jobs have lasted 30, 40 and 60 years, while most house painters jobs might last 5 years before needing a re-paint ??

No, the two shouldn't be compared to each other, but if that's all you think of it, then its no wonder we have some of the problems in communications and understanding of hand-painting techniques.

Actually, it even takes a house painter longer to learn how to properly paint and they too would probably feel a little insulted, that you hold no respect for what they do either. Truthfully admitting that you could learn on the job and not screw it up too bad is not something ANYONE's customer would like to hear. I would never place that fear into a customer. Things go bad, and jobs go south for many reasons, but they shouldn't be actions of negligence of not knowing your trade and treating it so lightly.

Sorry, but this is the kind of attitude that just give me pains in my stomach sometimes. Sorry to vent on ya, but it had to be said. I'm sure you meant well, but it didn't come across that way at all. If you understood, thank you.... if you took offense, then I'm glad I said it.

+1

To the OP:
Take the sage advice and tackle this project with the help of someone that has done it before. If you have never done anything like this before, I guarantee you will regret it if you try it on your own.

Terry

Gino

Premium Subscriber

No Wes……. I’m not asking anyone to listen to me blindly, but to at least think about the advice I give on something that I’ve been doing almost 40 years and mull it over before they hurt themselves, someone else or botch up a job beyond repair and cost everyone a whole lot of headaches and money for nothing.

Also, I’m not an expert. I just have a lot of experience and that experience comes from learning hands on with masters or others that already know how. It’s called learning for a reason. I was taught and these things became part of my repertoire over time.

Sure, everyone has to ‘start somewhere’ and that saying is so frickin’ stupid it’s about as useful as tits on a bull.

• Did you learn to do math instantly ?
  • Did you learn grammar or spelling instantly ??
  • Did you learn how to take a gun apart, clean it and reassemble it instantly ??
  • Did you learn how to drive and park a car instantly ??
  • Did you ever learn anything instantly, other than the nice actions of ‘Involuntary Muscle’ control in your body ??

No one expects anyone here or out in the real world to just wake up one morning and be able to do these things, but for cripe’s sake, don’t you want to learn to do it right before you just go pour paint on someone’s building and say….. guess I shoulda paid more attention that day in class ??

You're kidding me right? Gino was born an expert on everything sign related!

As for buttons……. this might sound somewhat outrageous to someone with your vast knowledge of the industry, but I wouldn’t make fun of people trying to help others.

In my 4-1/2 years here, almost all of my posts were to help others. I’ve hardly any questions asked, but many Welcomes from PA………….. It’s not hard to figure out who is helping and who is not. Getting into pissing contests is fun, but only what I do for chits and giggles.

If you ever need help, I’ll try to help, but if you already know it all, why even hang out here ??